The Horsehead Nebula

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by wet1, Dec 16, 2001.

1. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The Horsehead Nebula
    Credit: Nigel Sharp (NOAO), AURA, NSF
    One of the most identifiable nebulae in the sky, the Horsehead Nebula in Orion, is part of a large, dark, molecular cloud. Also known as Barnard 33, the unusual shape was first discovered on a photographic plate in the late 1800s. The red glow originates from hydrogen gas predominantly behind the nebula, ionized by the nearby bright star Sigma Orionis. The darkness of the Horsehead is caused mostly by thick dust, although the lower part of the Horsehead's neck casts a shadow to the left. Streams of gas leaving the nebula are funneled by a strong magnetic field. Bright spots in the Horsehead Nebula's base are young stars just in the process of forming. Light takes about 1500 years to reach us from the Horsehead Nebula. The above image was taken with the 0.9-meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Teri Curious Registered Senior Member

That's the best picture I've seen of the horsehead nebula ever! It's also the first time the picture has made sense to me.
    Thanks for sharing that.
    Teri.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

Horsehead - The Sequel

I think this image is a excellent shot - from hubble of course.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Thanks Red Devil. I remember this when it was released. I marveled over the close-in clarity of the photo. Always enjoy revisiting though.

8. Teri Curious Registered Senior Member

WOW!!

Imagine what we'll be able to see in a few more years!

I always get the urge to shout to people about how beautiful space is but so few of us see the beauty.

Teri

9. xraydelta1 Kirk Unit Registered Senior Member

The first time I saw it....

When I first took up amateur astronomy, one of the things on my 'must-see' list was the Horsehead Nebula. I didn't realise how hard it was to see without some serious aperature.

It was at a star party in 96 and had the good fortune to get a look through some impressive instruments, including a 20 inch Dob. Even with this monster the nebula doesn't exactly jump out at you but it's definitely there. I've never seen so many grown men so excited about a hazy dark blob before!

Cheers, and Merry Christmas!

10. KneD Le Penseur Registered Senior Member

Little question:

When I watch the horse-head through my scope, I don't see it in red (or some colour near red) But I see it as dark-green/gray.

I can Imagine that I would see it as gray, but is there any explanation for the red glow apearring green to me??

or am I just getting nuts, and should it just be gray?

11. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

Kned

1. Dont apologise for "bad" english - I understood it perfectly well.
    2. Its either "false" colour or it loses its colour when viewed by naked eye?

12. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Red Devil ...

By 'false color' do you mean a wider spectrum than the human eye can see?

If so, yes.

Take care.

13. xraydelta1 Kirk Unit Registered Senior Member

Colour

I've been led to believe the lack of colour is due to there being insufficient levels of light to activate the colour receptors in the eye, and that's why most nebulas appear grey through a scope.

But even short exposures with a 35mm colour film shows huge variations in colour... I have one I'll post later showing the Orion Nebula as very pink.