Fell over..

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by arcticandyb, Oct 26, 2005.

1. arcticandyb Registered Member

I was in the middle of ordering a medium powered eyepiece and a barlow for my new telescope (Meade DS 2090 refractor) when my wife calls to tell me one of her daycare kids has pulled over my scope, probably trying to use it to stand up.

Obviously the kid didn't have the decency to use his body to break it's fall, so the scope fell to the floor.

So what do you think my chances are of finding an undammaged telescope when I get home from work?

What should I check for to make sure that everything is still in alignment/colminated correctly?

Or should I just forget it, re-pack it up (thank god I kept all the packaging) and return it for a replacement ? - it's only two days old, and Costco have a fairly good returns policy.

Any answers would be much appreciated.. and no, the kid was not damaged, and the fall was not loud enough to trouble my wife who was in the next room (although she doesn't have the world's best hearing)..

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

I would check it, and if it's messed up, tell them it came out of the box that way =]. unless you have a conscience, then you might not want to do that.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. arcticandyb Registered Member

That's the thing really.. it isn't particularly the correct thing to do.

I was thinking about replacing it anyway, I'm having real problems getting the autostar controller aligned, but it's entirely possible that this is down to user error, not manufacturer defects.

Personally I don't want to take it back, the quality of the telescope and the eyepieces are excellent, and while limited in certain respects (90mm x 1000mm) it does give some damm good results.

Oh well, I guess I'll check it out and let my wife decide - at least then I can sleep at nights..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. vslayer Registered Senior Member

bah, why should you have a conscience towards the murderous multinational corporations? take it back 5 times over and they still probably wont notice anyway.