Oil/Housing aside, what are the biggest rip-offs where you are?

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by Jaybee from his cast, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Jaybee from his cast Banned Banned

Doesn't have to be household items, it could be for commercial use too.

My business gets ROYALLY hammered on laser toner, far too expensive, even the unbranded ones, considering the low production costs.

What other areas do you find strong demand, but inelastic supply?

Jaybee.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Food. Grocery prices in the D.C. area are preposterous. A lot of the stuff we buy routinely at Costco in California at decent prices shows up here about once every three months, and even then it's not as good as what I'm used to. Costco in California gets really good T-bone steaks, here they look like the ones you'd get in a roadside diner in New Mexico. Produce costs twice as much as at home and the quality is half as good. There are no Smart & Final outlets or other wholesale grocers here.

Restaurants are outrageous. There are a lot of reasonably priced Chinese places and I'm lucky that I love Chinese food, but American food is so expensive that I can't believe people can afford it--or bother, when it's something you can make better at home. Even company cafeteria food is ridiculous, it's hard to get a lunch for less than five bucks and all you can say about it is that it won't make you sick.

It's hard to talk about prices in the D.C. area without at least mentioning housing. $350K for a tiny townhouse with no garage 12 miles out of town in Rockville. A million dollars for a condo in Bethesda. In the District itself all you can rent for less than $1K per month is an absolute hovel in somebody's basement.

The closer you get to the Capitol, the more everything resembles the government. Overpriced, lousy quality, and despicable service.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kazakhan Registered Abuser Registered Senior Member

What irks me the most is groceries. For example the local supermarket usually sells Pepsi for $1.55 for a 1.25Ltr bottle, however approximately 3 days a month though it'll be sold at 79c, maybe a week at $1.19 and 4-5 days at 99c. Why not have a standard markup and only put items on special when necessary like nearing the used by date etc. I understand the concept of loss leaders but as a consumer I want some consistency.

I've also worked for a supplier to major supermarket chains(Australian) and all of the chains have what they call a discount period where they expect a significant discount from their suppliers. I'm not sure if or how these periods vary between suppliers and\or supermarkets. In our case the discount increased every year to the point of being 17.5% for a period of 3 months at which point the business was no longer profitable...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Inland Revenue

8. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

The system I hate the most is the pay to play political system which has evolved at every level of govenment. Politicians essentially buy campaign contributions and get out right bribes from various businesses. No businessman who wants to do business with the government can avoid this game.

9. Jaybee from his cast Banned Banned

How do you know? There are no businessmen around here, just students and unemployed intellectuals.

Jaybee.

10. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Do you have any real evidence of this, or are you just spouting words of hate for it's own sake?

In our system, the USA, we have numerous checks n' balances against such practices and those government officials who are caught at such practice are arrested and tried in our courts. If you, as a citizen, have a legitimate, valid complaint against any government official, you can call the legal service/police/FBI and present your evidence for fast action.

Total generalization and mostly bullshit! And again, if you have evidence of wrong-doing, then you should seek the appropriate law enforcement services. Otherwise, ye're just making accusation and allegations with nothing more than your own "dreams".

Baron Max

11. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

Baron Max: Read the Philadelphia Inquirer. The FBI is investigating and a few have been indicted & convicted. The biggest fish died before they could get him. The mayor has managed to insulate himself by having cronies do the dirty work. As far as I know, our city is not the only one with pay to play politics. I do not think it is the only level of government with the game.

Do you know what the terms "Pay To Play" and "lobbyist" mean? I am surprized that you live in the USA.

You are correct that we have some checks & balances. It is sad that they are hardly ever used. The Pennsylvania legislature recently repealed a pay raise for themselves due to voter outrage and uncoming elections. I was surprised that there was enough obvious outrage to have an effect. Most of the time the majority of voters do not seem to know or care what goes on. This is the first time I have seen voters have a real effect on scummy politicians. Perhaps it is a sign that the future will be better, but I doubt it.

12. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

A few? And from that, you condemn everyone in politics and in government? From that meager bit of info, you feel confident in making the generalized statement that encompasses everyone in government?

As far as you know? But earlier, you basically condemned the entire group of people in government, yet in this post, you've used ONLY the Phil. Enquirer as a source? As I said earlier, you should be careful of making such generalizations about anyone or anything ...it smacks of bias and prejudice.

Hardly ever used? And from whence did you discover that info? The Phil. Enquirer again? Again, ye're just making generalized statements and that's a sure sign of someone who has a uneducated bias.

Baron Max

13. alain du hast mich Registered Senior Member

spring water
    parking
    university