The Iris Nebula

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by wet1, Dec 14, 2001.

1. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

NGC 7023: The Iris Nebula
    Credit & Copyright: Brian Lula
    Like delicate cosmic petals, these clouds of interstellar dust and gas have blossomed 1,300 light-years away in the fertile star fields of the constellation Cepheus. Sometimes called the Iris Nebula and dutifully cataloged as NGC 7023, this is not the only nebula in the sky to evoke the imagery of flowers. Still, the beautiful digital image shows off the Iris Nebula's range of colors and symmetries in impressive detail. Nebular material is seen to surround a massive, hot, young star, still in its formative years. The telltale reddish glow of atomic hydrogen gas energized by the star's invisible but intense ultraviolet light flanks the bright central region. Yet the dominant color of the nebula is blue, characteristic of dust grains reflecting starlight. Dark, obscuring clouds of dust and cold molecular gas are also present and can lead the eye to see other convoluted and fantastic shapes. Infrared observations indicate that this nebula may contain complex carbon molecules known as PAHs. As shown here, the Iris Nebula is about 6 light-years across.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

wet1 ...

Once again, thanks for posting another beautiful picture.

Just a thought: Collection on a single thread?

Take care.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Not a bad idea, Chagur. I found that when my old cluncker was running to many pic's slowed down the display something awful. I got used to displaying the pic's just a few to the thread because of it. I continued this because of the thought that others might have this same problem.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.