Should we have a Business and a Law Forums?

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by TruthSeeker, Oct 14, 2005.

?

Would you like a Business and/or Law Forum?

1. Let's have a Business forum

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  2. Let's have a Law forum

8 vote(s)
    38.1%
  3. Let's not have either

12 vote(s)
    57.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Vote.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Then discuss subforums....

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

Wouldn't these be appropriate as part of the Economics forum? Rename it to Economics, Business & Law?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

I have to say that I can't see these forums getting any particular use.

Business is a subset of economics (although it could have ethical considerations as well, in which case a thread on ethical business concerns could be posted in ethics...)

And Law would be a subset of Ethics.

I can't really see entire forums devoted to these subjects getting much use. Take note of that other forum which has WAY too many subforums, most of which get little to no action whatsoever.

Personally, I'd say that Sciforums' setup is rather good just the way it is. Perhaps the only suggestion I might make would be the consolidation of General Science with Science & Society. I can understand the distinction between the two, but I think the topics in each tend to blend together.

For instance, Science and Society has as a subset 'scientific ethics'. Well. That would probably find its way down to the ethics subforum. This subforum should also have a focus on science's effect on and/or in society as whole while General Science should be more about gadgets and whatnot, but as I've said, I think the topics in those two forums are very similar.

Anyway. Just a thought. I can actually understand the distinction well enough to say that there's not a valid reason for combining them. I'm just thinking more along the lines of actual forum usage...

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Business a subset of Economics!?
    Law a subset of Ethics!?

Which planet do you come from? :bugeye:

Well, I'm in the school of business right now. Here's how it is actually divided:
    Business:
    - Accounting
    - Management
    - Finance
    - Economy
    - Business Law

All those have lots of specializations- but we don't really need them....

As for Law and Ethics, it is true they are related, but Ethics is actually a subset of Law, not the other way around. Law has many subsets which are kinda boring by their own so that wouldn't be necessary. Examples: environmental law, business law, family law, imigration law, etc... Also, of course, legislation, the process of making a law, constitution, bill of rights, etc...

8. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Yes. You're right, Truthseeker.
    Economics would sorta be a subset of Business and Ethics would sorta be a subset of Law.

But, then again. Business is a result of economics (as if there were no economy, there would be no business.) And Law is a subset of Ethics (as there would be no law if there were no ethics.)

Basically, I just don't see any reason for the specialized forums. I really can't envisage a great deal of threads being started in either forum. And what threads might be started could just as easily find themselves in other forums.

Most threads on legal issues have been in Ethics, for instance.
    And most threads on business have been in Economics.

I'm not arguing the true hierarchy of any sort of definitions or semantics. Merely forum mechanics.

I don't think there's a need for these forums.

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I agree with invert_nexus
    Besides together we have twice as many posts as TruthSeeker has, therefore we are right and he is wrong.

p.s. I'm a law student and even I would abstain from talking in a law forum, because it's just: meh, more studies.. give me a break!!

10. Facial Valued Senior Member

Business goes under economics.

Law goes under politics.

Let's not have either.

11. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

12. leopold Valued Senior Member

after taking a few polls it seems to me that (apparently) most of you people do not want to be enlightend. why not have a bussiness and/or law forums. i voted both. i also took the poll on genetic engineering and discovered that the majority wants no restrictions on it. which means that the majority of people on this website aren't of my caliber.

13. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Yes, I hope we are better than that.

14. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

We're obviously not worthy of your almighty eminence, O Enlightened One. Forgive us! We are simple folk.

Troll.
    I'd have to say that you're about as 'enlightened' as a crack whore on a two week fast. Better put some rocks in your pocket before you blow away with your own arrogance.

15. Bells Staff Member

Hmmm... yes... a law forum. Pray tell what would you discuss? Legislation? That tends to be discussed under Politics and sometimes under the Ethics banner. Case law? Well not only would that only involve approximately 2% of the forum population (if that), but certain cases that gain some form of fame are usually discussed in the Ethics forum anyway. Being a person who is (or was involved) in the legal field, I personally do not see the need to have a forum dedicated solely to Law (or Business for that matter.. that's discussed under Economics and sometimes World Events) as it would only ensure that the high majority of the forum's population would not participate in said forum and as a result, it'd be dead boring. Discussing case law in such detail on a forum would be dead boring (I did that enough at work already) and the same applies to discussions pertaining to legislation.

As for a Business forum... again.. that tends to be discussed under the Economics banner. And since Business incorporates Economics and vice versa, why the need for a separate sub-forum?