mayday mayday mayday

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by esp, Dec 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esp Registered Senior Member

If anyone has any ideas, please help.

I switched my pc on today and noticed that the user login dialogue box's settings had changed.
    When windows opened, a pop-up 3d appeared warning that there is a problem with my display adaptor, it may be the wrong type or operating incorrectly.
    In the display properties settings window, my screen area has changed and cant be reset. Worst of all, i'm being forced to run in 16 colours.
    In the display properties appearence window, my custom settings seem to have changed until I select another scheme, then if I go back to my appearance scheme, it's back as it should be. I can then select it and it seems OK until I reset my system.
    I tried everything I can think of, checked ms help and it didn't reccommend anything I haven't already tried.

I'm already sick of looking at everything in greyscale.
    Any technophiles out there?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Rick Valued Senior Member

This problem happened to me when win.ini file got coruupt.you can try to run setup program.no this will not delete any data,

if you"re running win98,follow this:
    goto c:\>cd windows
    c:\windows>cd win98
    c:\windows\win98>setup

if you"re running win95 or win Me,follw this path:
    c:\windows>cd options\cabs
    c:\windows\options\cabs>setup

this will solve your problem.

also did you check on display driver properties,if theres any "!" mark on any display drivers,please update drivers again...

hope this helps...

bye!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Rick Valued Senior Member

You can also change the string value of your display properties in registry,to the default value,as your resolution was...
    this will be in HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG folder.there will be a resoltion setting change its value by modify usage....
    hope this helps,also first try this then setup stuff...

bye!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Word of caution !!!

Back up before messing with the Registry!

Things can really go bonkers if you goof up!
    (...........the voice of experience.............)

Have fun.

8. esp Registered Senior Member

Prob sorted.

Installed an older driver after much messing about.

Thanx all who responded.

9. quarky Registered Member

esp

The answer to fixing your problem is easy all you have to do is restart windows open open active desktop and then go to customise settings when the screen opens click on settings then click advanced then click on adapter there you will find your drivers name write it down and find your disk with the driver on and reload it . job done its simple honestly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.