Bush backs pre-emptive nuclear strikes?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by c20H25N3o, Oct 11, 2005.

1. c20H25N3o Shiny Heart of a Shiny Child Registered Senior Member

Sorry if this is old news. >>

http://www.greenpeace.org/international/news/nuclear-warplans-101

I appreciate Greenpeace have a political bias but there is nothing to suggest they are lying. Anyone care to comment?

peace

c20

Sample nuggets of the collective wisdom of the warplanners

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. crazy151drinker Registered Senior Member

This has always been policy. If the need arises the option is there, simple as that.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. c20H25N3o Shiny Heart of a Shiny Child Registered Senior Member

So why cant Iran adopt a similiar policy without condemnation? What's so special about the US?

peace

c20

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Light Registered Senior Member

Simple. Because the Iranian government is often directed by crazies and does NOT exhibit the kind of restraint the U.S. does. Have you noticed the number of times the U.S. has not used the nuclear force at it's disposal? It's hardly likely the same could have been said about Iran over the past 50 years.

8. c20H25N3o Shiny Heart of a Shiny Child Registered Senior Member

Is the US the moral judge of all countries/leaders then?

peace

c20

9. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

And this differs from the US exactly how?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Light Registered Senior Member

Careful - I never implied that at all. Iran's history speaks for it's self with no moral judgement required on anyone's part.

11. Light Registered Senior Member

HA! Point taken.

Misinformed, perhaps, but not really crazy.

12. c20H25N3o Shiny Heart of a Shiny Child Registered Senior Member

Well what was President Reagan doing in 1985 then? Oh yeah, making money out of the Iranians by selling them arms. What is China doing now? Oh yeah selling arms to the Iranians. What are the US and British doing now? Oh yeah, getting in bed with China because they know China is going to be a serious economic player.

Iran's history is not as cut and dried as you think.

peace

c20

13. Bells Staff Member

The US shows restraint? *GASP* When? Where?

And have you noticed that the US is also the only nation on this planet to have used a nuclear weapon against another country. Hmmm... you were saying about restraint before?

Considering that the US used its nuclear force in the past, they should not be pointing the finger at others now should they? And they have hardly showed restraint in the past 50 years either considering the amount of pre-emptive strikes and wars they have become involved in. And maybe if the US did not involve itself in Iranian politics in the past, the "crazies" would not be in power today.

14. Light Registered Senior Member

?? You seem pretty confused here. What does China and it's current relations have to do with Iran's history? Perhaps you should do a bit more research and properly gather your thoughts, eh?

15. c20H25N3o Shiny Heart of a Shiny Child Registered Senior Member

No confusion here. Just refuting your claim that Iran's history speaks for itself with regards to the US's decision that they cannot arm them selves in a nuclear capacity because of their history. The US has actively supported the alleged Iranian 'crazies' in the past as are China now so how exactly does Iran's history speak for itself? It didnt for Reagan and it doesnt for the Chinese.

Bells makes some excellent points and probably got to the thrust of the argument in a more timely fashion than me.

Tell me how the US can have these weapons and state that they would use them pre-emptively and be 'justified', whereas their old pals the Iranians must conform to the US's wishes else 'action will be taken'.

Tell me how this isn't blatent hypocrisy especially when the US 'has' used nuclear weaponary in the past.

peace

c20

16. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

The simple answer is that the US just wants to have the upper hand; nuclear weapons are too much of an equaliser.

17. te jen Registered Senior Member

HahahahahahahHAHAHAHAHAHAH sob sob .....

18. Light Registered Senior Member

Laugh and cry all you wish. Two words: Ayatollah Khamenei.

19. c20H25N3o Shiny Heart of a Shiny Child Registered Senior Member

And that is Iran's entire history? You better hope US history is not also defined by two words, those being 'George Bush'.

peace

c20

20. Light Registered Senior Member

Hardly the point at all. I know a great deal of their history, going back to the Persian Empire. Do you?

21. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I guess (s)he's laughing (just like me) about the word "restraint" in your post too.

22. c20H25N3o Shiny Heart of a Shiny Child Registered Senior Member

Why do you even ask if I know the history? Was it not the CIA who helped set up SAVAK? Why didn't Nixon have reservations when in '72 he armed Iran up to the eyeballs?

The US adminstration are total hypocrites. All Iran's governement want to do is to manage its people by its Islamic faith without the US or other Western powers sticking their big hypocritical noses in all the time.

Yes the US and Iran are enemies but why? You know history so well. You tell me what are the root causes for this distrust? Tell me why Bush doesn't want his enemy having a gun as big as his?

peace

c20

23. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

you just answered your own question.plus nukes are no fun,far more sporting to send lots of poor people against their poor people and see who are the best.