First New Hearst Castle Proposed

Discussion in 'Politics' started by zanket, Oct 6, 2005.

1. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

I've been telling friends that, given the Republicans' trillion dollar giveaway to the wealthy in the US since 2000, to be paid by my great-grandchildren, it's only a matter of time before new Hearst-Castle-sized mansions spring up. Today I see the first one proposed:

Meanwhile, as the Iraq War for the Wealthy and the NASA Moon & Mars Projects for the Wealthy continue, Louisiana is in a financial tailspin due to Katrina. Soon towns there will have no firefighters. So long as the main priority of the majority of Americans remains to make the rich richer, things will only worsen.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Light Registered Senior Member

Ho-hum. <yawn> Just more crying in the beer and envy. The guy made his money in PeopleSoft and then a bunch more when he sold the company.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

Yes, that is what a conservative would say. We've entered a new era of Barons and Dukes. Not only is it okay to build castles now, the majority insist on lowering their own pay and reducing services to help the rich build them. The US is voluntarily returning to the days of serfs & lords.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mephura Applesauce, bitch... Valued Senior Member

It's odd how liberals will whine about the need for everyone to be equal, yet all they do is complain about these "handouts" to the rich, when the oor have been getting them for years.

It's called welfare.

8. Light Registered Senior Member

Oh, really? And just when did this "new era" begin? In the year 2000? 1950? 1900? 1850? (etc.)

9. Light Registered Senior Member

That's true, But c'mon now - surely you know that it's far easier to just complain. Takes no effort at all, really. (Exactly what they are used to.)

10. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I wonder ....if we took all of the money from the rich of the world and divided it equally to all of the people of the world, ...how much money would each person receive?

And then what? Once that money was spent, what would the people do?

Baron Max

11. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

It's funny how Republicans don't know that Clinton ended welfare except for the hardest-luck cases. I don't think everyone should be equal financially, but I do think that Republicans are gleefully leading the US to become a third-world country, with a small middle class.

12. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

13. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

If the voting public insisted that billionaires pay significantly higher taxes than they do, the average standard of living would be significantly higher and some of the billionaires might then be 500-millionaires and the 20-millionaires might be 15-millionaires, but they'd still be fabulously rich. Instead the public insists on the opposite, and that's why we'll see a lot more castles being built, a further erosion of rights, and an increase in propaganda. Just this morning I heard Bush say that the US did nothing to provoke an "insurgency" in Iraq. That's a prime example, designed to get the ignorant Republicans to support the payout of ever more $100-billion chunks of borrowed cash to the rich who started the war for profit.

14. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

What does taxes have to do with the average standard of living?

And what do you mean by "....significantly higher..."? Is that a lot or just a little? I mean, if we took all of Bill Gates' 5 billion dollars and divided it equally among all of the American citizens, each citizen sure wouldn't get much, would he?????

Baron Max

15. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

Lots of course. For example, if the budget deficit consistently increases, then services to taxpayers are ever reduced as an ever larger percentage of tax revenues pays interest on debt. Republican politicians love to increase the national debt, money they largely dole to themselves and their supporters. They are private servants who increase their standard of living by lowering the average standard of living.

More like $50 billion at his peak. That's about $150 per capita. The tax cut giveaway increased the national debt by about $1 trillion. That's $3000 per capita; everybody including children. That could significantly increase the standard of living of every person. Instead, we'll pay interest on that. The public not only gave away money to those who didn't need it, they borrowed it. Lunacy! By the time it's paid off by my great-great-grandchildren it might be $10 trillion. Or if it isn't paid off in, say, 500 years, it might be $100 trillion. Since there's no foreseeable end of accelerating debt in the US (the majority's heads are firmly stuck in the sand), along with the crushing effects of the interest load, within a decade or two we can look forward to the standard of living of Argentines or Mexicans. The worst part is, it would be easily preventable if only 5% of Americans opened their eyes.

16. mikasa11 Registered Senior Member

I'm not sure how some repubs in america can be so dumb to not realize that Neocons like Bush and Reagan run up national debt and give incredible breaks to large corporations amazes me....No actually it just makes me sick!

When Reagan and George H.W Bush were in office they were ridiculous with their spending! But hey, it's how things work. Republicans give things they have no way of paying for to please the people and then democrats come into office and are unpopular because they keep the national debt down.