The "tenth planet" has a moon

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Lucas, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Lucas Registered Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DwayneD.L.Rabon Registered Senior Member

Last edited: Oct 12, 2005
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. blobrana Registered Senior Member

Of course we need to know the moon's composition.
    It’s probably half ice and rock…
    But, if it’s a very icy object then it’ll reflect a lot more light, and so will appear brighter-and thus seem bigger …throwing off the whole size estimate for 2003 UB313.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Gabrielle, a moon of Xena, was discovered on September 10, 2005. The discovery was made using the Laser Guide Star Adaptive Optics (LGS AO) system at the W.M. Keck Observatory. Images were taken at infrared wavelengths (2.1 microns) using the NIRC2 imaging camera over a period of 40 minutes. Gabrielle is located to the right of Xena in the picture.

The story was supposed to be under embargo.

Here is the keck link

Last edited: Oct 2, 2005
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kazbadan Registered Senior Member

Maybe i am wrong but i think that i remember to saw sometingh (at a long time ago) about the thenth planet: if it exists (this was before the discover) it should have about 10 times the mass of jupiter (or was 10 times the mass of Earth...10 times the mass of Jupiter = Star!).

8. blobrana Registered Senior Member

Nemesis?

or the strange incident with the pioneer 10 probe that was deflected by an unknown object?

BTW
    The orbital period of Gabrielle is 14 days and the semi major axis 40,000km.
    The total mass of the system is 2.6 x 10<sup>22</sup> kg (which is twice the mass of Pluto).

9. kazbadan Registered Senior Member

Nemesis? I heard about the info that i spoke (the estimated mass of the tenth planet) before knowing about Nemesis. Nemesis, for what i know, its a kind of myth for the guys seeking for "the end of days"...that not what i am speaking about. I really heard about something at a long time ago. A real estimative for a possible tenth planet.

About pioneer 10...how does it relat to this stuff? The unknow object that was responsible for the deflection, possibly was the "dark matter". Lets not forget that at a such distance, its hard to see what is happening. So, possibly was an asteroid (very dark). The way you say "unknow flying object" makes me think on ufos

I think that ufos have nothing to do with the X planet or pioneer (but i believe in ufos).

10. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

11. blobrana Registered Senior Member

Hum,
    I forgot about Planet X.

On 8 December, 1992, when Pioneer 10 was 8.4 billion km away, it was deflected from its predicted course for about 25 days by an unseen object (different from the pioneer effect).
    The new Kuiper Belt object was found by a team at Queen Mary and Westfield College in London, UK.

More info on Gabrielle.
    The satellite S/2005(2003 UB313)was found to be 4.43 &plusmn;0.05 magnitudes fainter than the primary and to be separated 0".53 &plusmn;0".01 from the primary in p.a. 275 &plusmn;1 degrees.

12. kazbadan Registered Senior Member

different from pionner effect? I am not very "inn" on this stuff about pioneer effects and the like and i am a little bit lost, now, lol. Sorry if i am being off topic. So, let me help understand:
    1) There was pionner 10 that was deflected by a unknow object, probably from kuiper belt? Is that correct?

2) There was another pioneer that was deflected by other means...correct? If yes, which pioneer was that and how was deflected? thanks btw, if i see that i dont see answers or that people start to discuss a lot about it, i will create a seperate topic, for pioneer effect...so, dont worry moderators

Coming back to our topic: why do they consider Xena the tenth planet but Sedna (and other recent found objects like sedna and xena) is not seen as a planet?

13. Lucas Registered Senior Member

True. It was knocked off course by a KBO, in 1992. Actually that KBO is also leaving the solar system, after an encounter with a major planet. This article about this incident appeared in BBC news

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/460095.stm

14. blobrana Registered Senior Member

Hum,
    It seems Mr Brown is predicting that the rotation rate of Xena may be quite fast

It seems that after computer simulations of various impact scenarios, he suggests that that the debris disk forms small satellite .

“<i>Formation in a disk has been shown to lead to a more-rapidly spinning primary, which could also explain the unusually rapid rotation of 2003 EL61.

Nothing is currently known about the rotation state of 2003 UB313, but the small secondary to 2003 UB313 might suggest a similarly rapid rotator</i>”

PDF Doc.

15. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Crazy astronomers.....

Yaba Daba! :m: