Light that travels faster than the speed of light!!!

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Gravage, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Gravage Registered Senior Member

It's all here on this website:
    http://www.scienceblog.com/light.html

Does it mean that there are greater speeds in the universe than the speed of light?
    The speed of light in water is 140 000 mps(miles per second),but in 1934. Russian swcientist Pavel Cerenkov was able to accelerate light,in water,to 160 000 mps...
    Any thoughts???

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. orcot Valued Senior Member

acording to einstein a beam cast go fasther then the speed of light but then it can't carry an information anymore. I believe

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. blobrana Registered Senior Member

Yes, that sounds good.

Though It’s all debatable,
    the Cherenkov-effect, better known as the blue glow surrounding any bassin-based nuclear fission reactor could be particles moving faster than the speed of light (in the water it would cause a shockwave very similar to an airplane exceeding the speed of sound).
    The excess energy is radiated away in the form of the blue glow.

This also means that if tachyons (hypothetical faster-than-light particles) were real, and they move through space, they would produce (very visible) Cherenkov-like shockwaves, as they slow down and down.

Or an illusion.

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=16160

Last edited: Sep 26, 2005
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Danzinger Registered Member

THE PICARD MANEUVER.

8. alain du hast mich Registered Senior Member

you still arent travelling faster then the speed of light until you manage to repeat the experiment in a vacuum, to obtain a speed higher then 3x10^8 m/s

however, does anyone know HOW they managed to do what they did?

9. orcot Valued Senior Member

resonating with super cooled secium atoms I believe.
    The mith goes that the signal actually leaved before it entered. And this was scientific correct because the signal didn't carry information and therefore for some reasons doesn't have to obey the laws of the universe.

...I think their nuts. (How can you detect something that doesn't give any information)
    PS I don't wreally remember but the signam went 300 or 300000 times fasther then the speed of light, and arived billions of a sec before it entered (because of the small distance)

Tachyons have negative mass. So basicley they work in reverse. The more energy they radiate the fasther they go.
    It would actually take infinite energy to slow a tachyon down to the speed of light.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2005
  10. eburacum45 Valued Senior Member

I recommend taking a look at the Wiki entry for faster-than-light concepts;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faster-than-light#Relative_motion
    in particular the sections on Phase velocity and Group velocity.

Using various kinds of manipulation the apparent velocity of a light beam cn exceed 'c' but any information contained in the beam is carried at light speed and no more.