Comet Tempel 1

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by URI, Sep 22, 2005.

1. URI IMU Registered Senior Member

Has anyone any info on the new trajectory of Temple 1 ?

Or the spectra of the impact, or for how long Tempel 1 errupted after the hit?

Thanks.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Blindman Valued Senior Member

Trajectory.. No change detected..
    Spectra. Water, and many organic compounds.
    Eruption. No eruptions from both the impact site or changes in other eruption sites.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. URI IMU Registered Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Object not found!
    The requested URL was not found on this server. The link on the referring page seems to be wrong or outdated. Please inform the author of that page about the error.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

Error 404

8. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

Just as well. Don’t waste your time. :bugeye:

“URI” is none other than Zarkov (aka Nero aka a dozen other names)

He is a nutcase troll who has been banned here a number of times. Trust me, you'd have a better time banging your head against a brick wall than engaging him in a forum discussion.<P>

9. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Thank you Hercules. I was actually aiming for a counter response to his reply, if it came, along these lines:
    "So, URI, do you feel the Object referred to was in fact Tempel 1? Do you feel the fact it was not found is clear evidence that its orbit has been so disrupted by the impact that astronomers can no longer locate it?"

10. Lucas Registered Senior Member

BTW, I'm still waiting for the the news about the size of the crater, because I entered in the constest organized by the Planetary Society
    http://www.planetary.org/deepimpact/contest_enter.html
    and my bet was that the crater would be 220 m wide, and according to the linked site, the crater is still not visible but "it is probably between 50 and 200 meters in diameter"

11. URI IMU Registered Senior Member

No information, just as I thought..

Does this seem strange to you....

where has this comet gone, where is it going to
    is it still in one piece
    what is the energy balance

all reasonably simple questions the world would be asking...... and easy to answer...

but NO INFORMATION

someone is shite scared, me thinks.

12. Lucas Registered Senior Member

hey dude, stop moaning, the comet poises no danger, has not been snapped into two parts, it's not made of antimatter,... There's no danger at all. It's just following its path towards the orbit of Jupiter as seen in this image

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

why should the team in charge of the mission be covering up anything? Those scientists and their secretive plots!. that's pure paranoia

Last edited: Nov 5, 2005
  13. Blindman Valued Senior Member

How ironic it would be, if when man first sets foot on Mars, Tempel1 tries out a little ballistic astrophysics of her own, on their heads..

Anyone know the odds of Mars impact???

14. URI IMU Registered Senior Member

>> the comet poises no danger, has not been snapped into two parts, it's not made of antimatter,... There's no danger at all. >>

so is this assertion official

bit short on detail, Blindman.