Do electromagnetic waves ever stop,dissipate where they cease to exist forever?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Gravage, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Gravage Registered Senior Member

1.For example, my computer's wireless network card and the wireless receiver connected to my other computer both have a maximum distance of 1 mile. This means that if I moved the computers more than one mile apart from each other, I would not be able to send a file from one computer to another. However, if I had a stronger receiver on my other computer, would I be able to increase the distance the computers could be apart, or would the radio wave transmitted by my computer completely disappear after one mile?
    Everything should have limits,even radio-waves...

So,I was wondering, is there a limit on how far radio waves can travel in OUTER SPACE OR ON OUR PLANET EARTH? Is there ever a point where a radio wave signal disappears and cancels completely, and can't be recovered no matter how powerful the receiver is?
    Why radio-waves can't be destroyed?Is it because of magnetic fields that "keep" integrity of radio-waves(that's why they're called electromagentic waves,since they both have electrical charges/fields and magnetic fields,so if there are no magnetic fields the integrity of the radio-wave and infomration inside of it(inside of the radio-wave) would dissipate,get destroyed without an possibility of coming back?
    How quasars send extremely powerful radio-waves 12 billion light years away,on which frequency and how do quasars do it?Is it because quasars are extremely powerful mediums for sending radio-waves?How are magnetic fields supported(what gives the energy to magnetic fields) all the time so the information in the radio signal doesn't get destroyed?
    Does anyone knows a website which explains that in details?
    Big thanks!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gravage Registered Senior Member

And waht about all other forms of electromagnetic radiatio,do the have limits,like radio-waves or not?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

in a vacuum they would not dissapate,the only way a electromagnetic wave is stopped is if it absorbed.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

in a vacuum they would not dissapate,the only way a electromagnetic wave is stopped is if it absorbed.

8. blobrana Registered Senior Member

Yeah,
    in space - And perhaps the case when dealing with time...

It is possible that a spherical wave in the scalar potential propagates backwards and forwards in the temporal dimension.

In the case of the forward waves they continue forever (unless as was said they are absorbed).

So a simple solution is to move your WiFi transmitter to sometime in the past.

9. Gravage Registered Senior Member

Actually,they should dissipate,but this really depends on how powerful madium is.If it's powerful as quasar,than it wouldn't dissipate that easily,but if it's like our radio-messages that we send to space sooner or later,it would dissipate much before.That's my opnion.Nothing lasts forever,not even radio-waves.

10. orcot Valued Senior Member

I tought they disapeared in the back ground noice of the universe rather quicly. But if the universe was empty, it would only dissapear afther a infinite amound of time.

11. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

but something would have to absorbing them.

12. orcot Valued Senior Member

all energy it the universe stays preserved it's impossible to create or to destroy energy (longer then a plack time) so the best you can do is to stretch it out over a infinite distance.

13. jackamo Banned Banned

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you." I been sayin' that shit for years.

14. Solve Banned Banned

I'll eat your head....

15. jackamo Banned Banned

not if i gorge on your rotting corpse first after ripping of your head with a spoon

16. Solve Banned Banned

I'll fionger your shnizzle you litte faget! Yeehahaha

17. orcot Valued Senior Member

did I miss something :bugeye:

18. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

I can not resist answering this thread's title question with:

Yes, last time I looked.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

examine the equation y=1/x. As x increases (we'll say it's distance), y decreases (we'll say that's the beam's energy), but even if x is trillions of light years, y is never absolutely zero. Even if it hits a medium and 99.99999999% of the energy is absorbed, there's still 0.00000001% leftover, to discipate and traverse forever into other objects and distance into the void of eternity.

20. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Interesting postulate. Does it have experimental support?

21. Gravage Registered Senior Member

No,it gets absorbed to an particle,or particles,if it doesn't get destroyed(an it doesn't because it's absorbed into particles,magnetic fields,or electromagnetic fields) is that integrity of the wave is destroyed,which means the integrity/structure of an signal is destroyed,too,which means further means signal is dispersed and destroyed.But it doesn't mean energy is destroyed,since waves in the sea also dissapear,but the energy remains.

22. Gravage Registered Senior Member

That's only on paper with equations,but in reality is another thing.What's the point of making equations if they're not comparable with reality?

23. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

interference