The position of the earth during summer solstice?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by kingwinner, Sep 20, 2005.

1. kingwinner Registered Senior Member

1) How can you describe the POSITION of the earth during summer solstice (June21-22)? (Is it possible to say that the earth's position at summer solstice is such that the North Pole is tilted toward the Sun? North Pole tilts toward the sun on summer solstice as well as on July 20, for example...)

2) Why are the sun rays more concentrated when it is striking the earth surface at a 90-degree angle than at a 30-degree angle? (I can understand that the earth surface at a 90-degree angle is CLOSER to the sun, but how come the sun rays are more concentrated?)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2005
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

I thought it was more along the lines of the amount of daylight as opposed to positioning.

Actually, the Earth is closer to the Sun in December.

The suns rays hit the northern hemisphere more directly when the North Pole is pointed towards the Sun, as opposed to more concentrated.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Craven Moorehead Registered Senior Member

This is getting a touch ridiculous, don't you think? Some of your earlier questions were at least phrased in ways that showed you had specific problems with specific aspects of the questions, but now you're becoming lazy and just typing your homework directly at us.

Why don't you try reading your Earth Science book instead? It will give you the exact answer you're looking for rather than the roundabout answers you'll receive in here. Your homework is designed to be answered from your textbook and your teacher's lecturing.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kingwinner Registered Senior Member

Craven,

I am just not that kind of person who would post up my homework and copying answers from here! I always read and study my text book and notes because science is my interest! The only reason that I post questions is that the text book is not clear enough or I do not understand completely!

8. geodesic "The truth shall make ye fret" Registered Senior Member

I think I see what the second question is getting at:
    Imagine two squares, one at 90??º and one at 30º to a beam of parallel light. If the two squares have the same area, the square at 90º will intercept more light than the square at 30º, so the "concentration" of light on the 90º square is greater.

9. Lucas Registered Senior Member

The axis of rotation of Earth is tilted with respect to the plane of rotation of Earth around the Sun. The summer solstice occurs when that tilting is maximum, and the noth pole is inclined towards the Sun. Here's a nice drawing

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. kingwinner Registered Senior Member

"The axis of rotation of Earth is tilted with respect to the plane of rotation of Earth around the Sun. The summer solstice occurs when that tilting is maximum"

But a lot of sources say that the earth's axis is always tilted 23.5 degrees throughout the year...

11. Lucas Registered Senior Member

Yes but I meant when the axis is inclined exactly towards the Sun. The axis is paralel to itself during the orbit, but only during the solstices it is inclined directly towards the Sun.

PS: the tilt is not always 23'5 degrees. It varies from 22'5 degrees to 24 degrees during a cycle of 40000 years

Last edited: Oct 2, 2005