H-Alpha First Attempt

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by (Q), Sep 18, 2005.

1. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

I would like to share my first attempt at solar imaging using an h-alpha filtering. The pic is a close-up of the suns surface.

Stacked from 40 images using Registax 3.
    Camera is a Celestron NexImage in black and white.
    Color added using Photoshop.

Enjoy.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ellion Magician & Exorcist (93) Registered Senior Member

thats pretty.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Thanks Ellion, appreciate the comment. I need to make a Hartmann mask so I can better focus the details. And of course, much more practice.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ellion Magician & Exorcist (93) Registered Senior Member

is it through a telescope?

8. ellion Magician & Exorcist (93) Registered Senior Member

it looks like the onset of psychadelic visions.

9. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Yes, its through a telescope with an H-Alpha filter. The dark lines are filaments, which are thread like clouds of solar mass held up by the magnetic field of the sun usually up around 50,000 kilometers from the surface, while in the upper middle portion is a sunspot forming. The dark spot in the middle of that formation is about the size of the Earth.

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Nice image you have there. That's hard to do too.

11. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Thanks Cosmic - it is tough, but what makes it easy is a good mount, which I don't really have as yet. As well, my current mount is not properly polar aligned, which makes keeping the image centered somewhat more difficult.

The NexImage camera is set to take 5 images per second for 60 seconds for a total of 300 images. You then choose the best image available from those and Registax finds the best images on a percentage basis and then allows you to stack those images together, usually around 40 or so.

12. ellion Magician & Exorcist (93) Registered Senior Member

what is "solar mass"?

13. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

The mass of the sun... Everything is a comparison, and so to gauge the size of other stars, instead of saying its 1000000000000000000000000kg, we say its 1.4 solar masses... or 4 solar masses, or .5 solar masses Which means the mass of our sun times that number

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Hi (Q),
    Why is the upper right corner brighter than the rest?

15. devils_reject Registered Senior Member

I guess its more active

16. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Ellion

Tristan is correct in her explanation of solar mass. However, I was using the term inappropriately and meant that some of the mass of the sun was held up by the magnetic field.

Pete

That portion is brighter due to the adjustment of the sub angstrom h-alpha filtering system, a sort of a 'sweet spot' in which more details can be brought out. I mistakenly happened to get the 'terminator' of that area right near the middle of the image.

One of the difficulties of solar imaging is trying to get good focus and correct adjustments from a laptop screen as opposed to through an eyepiece.