Useful sites: For Defending your computer and definitions

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Stryder, Dec 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I've decided to create this thread because I noticed there seems to be lacking a thread devoted to URLS and information that you can obtain through the web.

Although it's very easy to use Search engines, sometimes they do tend to kick out lots of information that you just don't want to sift through... Sometimes as you surf(crawl) around the internet you tend to find sites that even with a search you wouldn't hae found, but just the same you mark them down in your head (or favourites) as places you think others should look at also.

With that I hope this thread will develop links to locations that are for the Beginner on the internet, right up to the intermediate user.

I shall be collecting such links on my cyberspacial travels, and updating this post with the URLs as I find them (with a little explaination). Please feel free to add your own additions, but state what sort of audience will benefit from your links.

(i.e. Beginners guide to *** [Beginners])

http://www.cybergeography.org/atlas/atlas.html [One and All!]

Looking at this site I've found a whole load of short descriptive passages and links to many differing places that stem across the globe. The small snipets of information are good enough for a novice computer user to get use to the terms and avid users just to gain yet more knowledge (yes, avid users have a passion for more data that burns just as deep as the correct terming of hacker!)

It's filled with colourful pictures including some developed as interpretations of Cyberspace. But that's as much as I'm going to let on as you should take a look for yourself

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Rick Valued Senior Member

Av,

same here.take a look at...

blacksun.box.sk/tutorials.html
    (grrreat)

also take a look at security writers guild by Raven.the place is great.

also take a look at www.crosswinds.net/hackingtruths(i dont remember the exact extensions)
    it contains awful networking stuff by several guys.

bunch of other great sites for programmers:

www.programmersheaven.com(great resource)

check out www.tucows.com for the Linux stuff.

for those of you who wanna run Linux emulators under windows take a look at:

www.cygwin.com for downloads.its all freeware.off course you wont find vi,or any other editor there.

bye!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Rick Valued Senior Member

Av,

hi,

do we browse same sites same time?

i am amazed at similiarities cropping up in choices...

bye!

8. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

nothing to be amased of, zion

we have simmilar interests and during our search in inet have found what we searched for.

I new about crosswinds. I found it, when I was looking for articles aout encription and quantum(spelling) encription research.

btw, would you like me to send you a good encriptions prog.
    it's called Apocalypso. uncompressed 4.1 Mb. compressed 800K.

9. Rick Valued Senior Member

Okay.(i"ll be waitin')

bye!

10. Rick Valued Senior Member

11. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I unfortunately haven't got any decent sites recently as I've been busy with a Debian Server which I'm having to learn from scratch. But I'm glad I got hold of it, as it's opened up a whole new understanding to many different problems that occur on the internet (most of them unfortunately deliberate)

Take for instance my Server had been suffering from some serious DoS (denial of Service) attacks. some by Humans and others by Virii and Worms.

I've just recently brought my security patches further up to date and changed a few configurations to make it a little more difficult to suffer shut down and a little sturdier to server.

I would document a list of the documents I had to read, some of them were admittedly written by the hackers themselves but they were of use to get an idea of how to patch around the problems.

I'm still trying to deal with my logs being inendated with HTTP 80 NIMDA/CODE RED attack requests, but there isn't much I can do, other than creating a redirect that points NIMDA/CODE RED requests to a value of /DEV/NULL.

Other problems include SMTP, it might be fine for placing on a server to send mail out to people through a CGI script (Or do some spoofing like some would) but the worms thrive on it, they use it to transport themselves from network to network. So I'm doing my best to shut down the spread there.

There are many sources available on the internet over NIMDA/CODE RED (two seperate I-worms), the only people that should be worried are people that use Microsoft and IIS Servers. (Mostly NT and 2000) as it can infect files and cause alsorts of mischief.

Anyone operating Linux just has to suffer large logs, and possibly a bandwidth restriction caused by personalised 404 error messages being called.

Ref sites:
    www.debian.org
    www.virushelp.org

<P><BLINK>Updated!</BLINK></P>

I managed to find where the Packetstorm security group have moved to on the internet.

http://packetstorm.decepticons.org/

Last edited: Jan 16, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.