Extinction of man

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by gopakumar, Sep 8, 2005.

1. gopakumar "A is A" Registered Senior Member

Hi,

This time I would like to discuss the chances 4 extinction of man from the earth. Actually I thought about such a subject when once my dad told to me that he saw in the news papers a report on the extinction of some kind of a bird. He said that he had seen it once and it was very bad that to know that it was on the fear of getting extincted because it was a beautiful bird. It made me think more about the extinction of such a creature from the world. Even though I didnt read that article I strongly feel that that particular kind of bird has got into this state just because it might have forgoten how to live in our world.
    Such a similar case would happen to man if we forget how to keep on living. As a bird should know how to get its food, air and other neccesities of life, we should also possess the knowledge to keep on living. In my opinion along with the other necessities, we should also become rational. If we are not rational, I think we dont have to look 4 the chances of sun burning out its fuel,global warming etc. If we are irrational and keep on to be we will be swept out of the world faster than any other possibility.
    Also if we are rational and productive then we dont have to worry about other possibilities of extinction. Its because when all of us are productive, there will be productive scientists and they by doing some productive research will eliminate all possibilities of extinction. So it is an irrational human mind that will cause our extinction than a hole in the ozone or a burnt out sun.

Gopakumar

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The probability is 100%.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kmguru Staff Member

As long as you are using "4" for "for", there is a high probability we will be extinct. But perhaps if you change that to xtinct, it may not be that bad....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The big jump in our chances for survival will come when we are no longer limited to one planet in one solar system. Not only will we no longer be at the mercy of asteroid hits or death of the sun, but we'll also have two separate civilizations and hopefully at least one will not destroy itself.

8. xylus chocolate Registered Senior Member

Let the terraforming begin!

9. Roman Banned Banned

Yeah, they'll probably destroy each other.

10. Ericc Registered Senior Member

We started to develop over Millions of years from very small numbers, it could be that our extinction is so slow that we don't see it realy taking place.

We have little understanding of poeple who lived just 10.000 years ago, so in another 100.000 years will we remember that once there was more than 100 of us?

11. Gondolin Hell hath no fury like squid Registered Senior Member

Let me get this straight... we have little understanding of the people that lived 10 years ago? Cause thats what you're saying with those decimals.

12. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

The birds forgot how to live in this world?
    Man is the only species with the inherent ability to drastically alter his environment on a rapid and wide scale.
    It's not likely that the birds' extinction was their own fault, rather ours.
    I think man will almost certainly become extinct, given the current rate of destruction of our habitat.
    I take solace in the fact that nature is much more powerful and resilient than man, and will survive.
    I think that about the only things that will save this species from extinction at this point would be a extraordinarily drastic reversal in our practices and eco-responsibility (which is not likely) or a major catastrophe that will all but wipe out mankind and technological development, return man to his roots allow another species to become dominant or at least equal.

13. Roman Banned Banned

No, that's only what you are reading them as. Europeans use decimals as commas and commas as decimals in their numerical system. You really should get out more.

14. kmguru Staff Member

I am for terraforming. Let us start a company and jump start Mars....

I am also for building a stargate that uses a beam me up scotty type technology....

While at it we need to plant some trees. I just talked to a friend from India. He said 30 years ago, his summer temperature was 103 high, now it is 120. Old people are dying more and more every year....

15. devils_reject Registered Senior Member

No real reason but there have been 5 major extinctions in living history and we are going to be the sixth when humans cease. Thus the 666? Hmmm...

16. Ericc Registered Senior Member

If you have a problem with your Car, do you just leave it by the side of the road and go restore an old one from a scrap yard?

My point being that I think its best to try and fix what we already own first before we spend Millions on that Stargate of yours.

17. Ericc Registered Senior Member

On the other hand its impossible to understand the minds of some who live today - Gondolin!

You know what my point was and with your kind of mind I have a feeling that it is only going to take 100 year before we vanish and leave the planet to the Rats and Frogs again.

18. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

You are taking a very anglo-saxon view of mathematical notation aren't you? In many parts of Europe the decimal point is the decimal comma, while the separator between groups of three decimal digits is the point, not the comma.

19. kmguru Staff Member

What, if you messed up this planet so bad not listening to me (ran the engine without oil?) that I have no choice but find a new one? My other choice is to kill you and then fix the planet. Even then, what if there is an asteroid strike so big that.....(like your little car hit by a Mac Truck?)

20. Raelian1 Registered Member

Our technology can be used to create a paradise on Earth or destroy all of humanity. If leaders like George Bush continue to be elected, then our chances of extinction will approach 100%.

21. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

I thought they were already.

Yaba Daba :m:

22. Ericc Registered Senior Member

23. kmguru Staff Member