A separate "ban" section?

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Facial, Sep 5, 2005.

?

Bring back the "ban" system under the below mentioned conditions?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. Facial Valued Senior Member

It's been a while since I've been to SciForums.

If memory serves me correct, one of the moderators put an end to the banning threads.

However, to be honest about my opinion, banning someone solely from the qualification that they want someone else banned is rather narrow in scope.

There could be other things that can make a person irritable to certain forum members and still go unnoticed by the local moderators - since I doubt every moderator can see into all the individual threads. This is not to say, however, that irritability is the essential qualification for one to be banned, but rather that if someone's presence disturbs the presence of an overwhelming majority, then it would be best if they could vote him/her out of SF.

I'd say revive the ban system, under its own designated subsection of Open Gov.

I've always trusted the power of the majority to make honest and trustworthy decisions. I also think it would be best if we could give some of that power back to the people.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. alain du hast mich Registered Senior Member

how about we ban anyone who uses the word ban..
    aww nuts.

but serious, what is the point of ban threads. surely reporting any posts that are agaisnt the rules works just as well.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

thats why you message a mod with the reasons and links to it and they will look at it and decide as a group

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Facial Valued Senior Member

Perhaps. But of course, that also relegates your power to the authorities, which I am trying to dispel in the case of banning people.

8. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

you HAVE no power, you are a guest of dave as are we all. There is no free speach, there is no power but what HE choses to give you!!!!!!!!!

9. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

I think it goes without saying that when members are trying to have eachother banned the board is a much much more interesting place.
    I can't for the life of me understand why such behaviour would be discouraged.
    Reminds me of how they banned dancing in the 1980's box office smash- "footloose" starring kevin bacon.
    It was like they did it simply to be a pain in the ass, to be grouchy party poopers. They had no real gripe with dancing, they just knew the kids were having too much fun.
    There seems to be similar intent behind the banning of banning threads.
    It only makes sense if the goal is to reduce good times, I just can't find any other justification for it.

10. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Ah, but the government fiends do nothing about it when you do PM them about it. Making it a public thread is the only way to get it to the mods, for them to do something about it, but it usually ends up being the wrong thing.

11. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

im sorry i havent been around as much as i should have been and im sure the same can be said of all mods but we do have lives and after all this isnt a hurrican rescue we are talking about. PM the mod incharge and if they dont respond PM james and Portfire

12. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

One presumes that a sufficient number of complaints prompts action.

Some of the banning threads I've read have contained legitimate issues, but it seems as often as not they contain the approximate equivalent of "blah, blah, blah..."

Of course, it could be true that no amount of complaints prompts any action at all, and the mods merely exersize caustic, petty, and/or whimsical judgements when banning anybody - or not banning them.

You could always try horrifically simplistic semantic devices to get around the prohibition on "banning threads"...

Try entitling one "an-bay im-hay" [with name of pertinent loathsome individual inserted, of course] and see what transpires...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

"I've always trusted the power of the majority to make honest and trustworthy decisions."

You poor booby.

14. Facial Valued Senior Member

^^^
    Okay, fine. I'll change that to "Because the intellectual conditions in SciForums are generally advanced, I have always trusted the power of the majority here in SciForums to make honest and trustworthy decisions"

In other words, doesn't apply to politics. :m:

:m:

15. mountainhare Banned Banned

Asguard:
    Sure thing, Vader. BTW, when is that Death Star of yours going to be complete?

16. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

BAN ALL THE NOBELIEVERS!
    Soon YOU will become a believer
    MUHAHAHAAAA!

17. sniffy Banned Banned

the most may err as grossly as the few

18. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

I think that the people of the forum, if this forum really is as open and public as it says, should be the ones to say if one should be banned or not. It is the community who is most affected by a banning, after all, and it should be the community's right to decide!

19. Yes.... But. The instant a community elects to take it upon themselves to publicly call for a ban of such and such a person, someone inevitably elects themselves as the head honcho of the hanging committee - as anyone who ever took up residency within a building where in a Residents Association exits can miserably attest.

Perish the thought I speak from twisty and bitter experience.

The way the systems rigged at present, the individual site member can make a formal complaint, without the necessity of having to expose themselves to direct reprisals and the matter gets dealt with discretely.

I know everyone loves a free cabaret, and if two people impugning the size of each others wangers isn't such an animal I fail to know what is, but there's more than enough ego massaging in any public forum as it is - and invariably these things degenerate into these pointless sniping matches anyway.

If you have a complaint to make, make it via the report system - it stops mole hills becoming mountains and means the Management can get on with doing their job using their own discretion, which is the way really it should be, rather than being continually forced into taking actions at the behest of the ineviatbly small but vocal minority.

At the end of the day, the system as it stands is still driven by public opinion - I know wanting to be the one personally to be able to stick the knife in and all that is a recourse most natural to most people - but as a facet of the comunity as a whole, is this really the sort of comunity we actually want to reside in where that sort of silly business takes place as a matter of routine?

After all, what goes around invariably comes around....

20. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

..Therefore you must make Avatar your emperor! And you all shall be emperors! (in my prison)
    mwhahahaha!

---
    just kidding around

21. No you're not, y'mean every word.....

22. duendy Registered Senior Member

DONT ruin sciforums' free community spirit with tis banning nonesense....i have seen to awful forums who drool over their power of te ban.../
    example the Infidel Forums. tey ctually have a 'banned forum' right at the top of the page. its satanic glare over all proceedings....
    what all that does is creeate pernicious moderators who willy nilly get suked into teir new found power roles.....and it KILLS creative exploration dead. all u get is boring conformity.......crap. bin it

23. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I sure wish you'd learn English grammar, Duendy! Look at that last post ...LOOK AT IT, TRY TO READ IT!! What the hell does it actually say?

Oh, shit, wait a minute ....is that perhaps some damned foreign language or something? If so, I apologize to those damned foreigners!

Baron Max