Infinitly Improbable

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by esp, Dec 4, 2001.

1. esp Registered Senior Member

I would welcome discussion about the potential of Infinite Improbability propulsion.
    Do you think it's viable?
    If we can adjust the fifth dimension (probability) then can we be anywhere anywhen?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. nitRAM Registered Member

Isn't this how the aliens in the book Battlefield Earth transported things/people around there vast galactic empire.

Good book, aweful film.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. esp Registered Senior Member

Not sure.
    First time I heard of it was HHGTTG by Douglas Adams, used as propulsion for the Heart of Gold

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. rde Eukaryotic specimen Registered Senior Member

If you can make your tea hot enough, I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

8. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I think your spaceship would do a <i>Starship Titanic</i> the minute you turned your infinite improbability drive on for the first time.

9. Acerbus Wanderer of the Wastes Registered Senior Member

what is this drive you speak of? ive never heard of it before. would someone please explain it to me.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. esp Registered Senior Member

Acerbus....

In our world, we have free movement in three dimensions, x,y,z.
    We move in a set direction in the forth dimension, time.
    In the fifth dimension, probability, we usually exist in one of two states, statistical 0 or statistical 1. Where 1 is actuality and 0 is impossibility.
    The infinite improbability drive is based on the principal that it is infinitly improbable, not impossible, that we can exist in all of the possible positions of the first four dimensions simultaneously. That being the case, we can be selective of where we are when we deactivate the drive and become statistical 1 from say statistical 0.0000001 (infinite improbability).

Hope this illuminates, but if not, read part one of the five part trilogy by Douglas Adams, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
    (Why not read all five books, they are excellent).

11. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

What in the world gave you the idea that the fifth dimension is probablility?!
    There's no such thing as infinite probability.

Ever hear of string theory or M-theory? There are 11 dimensions, 10 space dimensions, and one time dimension. We have 3 spatial dimensions available to us, the other dimensions are curled up too small to be accessible to us.

12. esp Registered Senior Member

alpha.......

I would agreee that there is no such thing as infinite probability, but if you read the post properly, you would see that the infinite quantity to which I refer is IMprobability.
    Surely you cannot dispute the existance of the infinitly improbable?

Moving away form the subject of quanta for a short time, perhaps describing the mathematical attribute of probability as d5 is not the most accurate way of describing it's relation to d1-4, but it was the most succinct that I could think of in a couple of minutes.
    Point taken.

So what are your thoughts on the actual point of the thread anyway?

13. esp Registered Senior Member

rde

Ive got my cup of really really hot strong tea, so I'll give it a go. I'll see you last week, got to go 'cause them white coats are after me.

14. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

Re: alpha.......

I did read the post properly. An improbablity of 1 is the same as a probability of 0. The idea of infinite improbability makes just as little sense as infinite probablility.

15. thed IT Gopher Registered Senior Member

Probability theory has nothing to do with dimensions, as per the OP.

The likes of string theory and Brane theories have up to 27 dimensions (depending on who you read) but probability does not come into it, per se.

Mind you, if any one has a Bambleweeny supercomputer and has dunked it in a strong brownian motion generator, like a cup of tea, please mail me.

16. thed IT Gopher Registered Senior Member

Esp

I was born on Grafton Street and grew up on Upper parliament Street. Where the Womens Hospital is now.

Arrrgh right there La!

17. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

It's funny I should find this thread today, As I had been working out something yesterday for an Improbability Module for Artificial Intelligence systems (That was no way related to HHGTTG)

In truth it's pretty simple to look upon meta-images and explain a principle of how to gain all the answers to questions that have a number of possible outcomes. Of course I don't happen to have those meta-images in a graphical format to show you and then there is the small point that I'm going to have to talk to some people about it.

(I suppose you could say it was like how Babbage didn't "Personally" build his machine but still became famous for the thought of that and what he did for the postal system)

As for travelling to places that you wouldn't be able to normally, ... why not use holograms?

18. esp Registered Senior Member

THED

dunno where you mean mate!

Just kidding. Not far from me now! Aigburth Road, near Sefton Park.

Your not trying to tell me that there's two intelligent scousers out in cyberspace are you?

19. esp Registered Senior Member

Re: Re: alpha.......

Again, the clue is in the question.
    What I said was:

We usually exist in one of two states, statistical 0 or statistical 1. where 1 is actuality and 0 is impossibility.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2001
  20. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

Explain.

21. esp Registered Senior Member

Specify; about-

What I mean about statistical 1/0 or the cup of tea?

22. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Naw ... esp

The you being a 'scouser' thing.

Like, you being from Liverpool.

Take care.

23. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

Both