NASA's Deep Contradiction

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by btimsah, Jul 20, 2005.

1. btimsah Registered Senior Member

(From: http://www.enterprisemission.com/weblog/weblog.htm )

Published by The Washington Post BEFORE the successful July 3rd climax of the Deep Impact Mission, the official assessment of JPL's Project Manager for the Mission, Rick Grammier, on the state of the imaging system just prior to arrival is additional evidence that "all is NOT well politically in Mudville AFTER the close-up images of Tempel 1 came in:

"The 1,325-pound spacecraft, built by Ball Aerospace & Technologies Corp. of Boulder, Colo., has performed almost flawlessly. Engineers detected a blurriness in one of its cameras early in the mission, but they compensated by mathematically sharpening its images. 'In fact, we get somewhat better quality than before,' said JPL's Rick Grammier, the Deep Impact project manager.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

and now NASA/JPL is saying;

"NASA's Deep Impact may fail to live up to its billing as the first mission to look inside a comet. Computer processing designed to correct the spacecraft's defocused camera cannot fully correct the images taken just after impact. If the situation cannot be rectified, there will be no way of seeing the newly formed crater - one of the mission's major goals".

Now it's a defocused camera and it's not "better quality than before". Notice he did not speak of it in terms of possibility, but in reality. That the camera had worked better since the sharpening. Now - in order to excuse the lack of data from the Impact mission NASA is contradicting itself.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

I was wondering what sort of agenda was behind this post; it smacks of “barrow pushing”. :bugeye:

Then I clicked on the link....

Sure enough, it’s a Richard Hoagland site!

That says it all. For anyone not familiar with this Grade A conspiracy theorist nutball, have a look here....

http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/hoagland/<P>

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. btimsah Registered Senior Member

If you are going to disagree with him, at least try to provide a substantial reason why.

How would you like it if I dismissed everything on NASA's website because, "It's from NASA"? You'd call me a kook and conspiratorial nut. I see no difference in doing that to Hoagland.

I know a lot of you hate him and his pseudoscience, but you still need to provide something of substance.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. btimsah Registered Senior Member

By the way, I don't think it was Richard Hoagland who was ducking Phil Plait on the radio.

If I remember correctly it was the other way around.

8. btimsah Registered Senior Member

And - to be fair I don't really disagree with Plait. Some of Hoaglands' stuff goes to far for me. That does not make Hoagland wrong, but just for me he goes to far.

However, with this Deep Impact Mission I believe he's being pretty level. It's not fringe to take NASA and the JPL's own statements and illustrate the contradictory nature of them.

In the end he and many others are trying to figure out why the spectral information and 4400 images have not been released.

9. danbirchall Pedant Registered Senior Member

My understanding of things was that the dust plume ejected from the impact unfortunately blocked the view of the crater. I'm not sure whether that's true, but I can probably get answers pretty easily from people who would know.

As far as stuff not being released, I think the idea was to analyze all the data (which there was an awful lot of) and write the papers, and then publish them all at once, or something.

10. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

btimsah, I am delighted to see in the interval between our last interaction you have lost none of your charming naivety, nor the hypersensitive awareness of government conspiracies.

Why not try a bit of common sense. The bloody cameras weren't working right. Some smart image processors say 'no problem boss, we can come up with a fix', which they more or less do, except its a fix made in circumstances that are different from those that will obtain when they are taking the important photos.
    The JPL boss announces, 'heh. No problem. Our smart scientists have overcome the difficulty." Ever the consumate politician (or he wouldn't be head of JPL) he adds 'heck, they are even better than before.' Shit, how many times have I used that particular sleight of hand.
    Then they have to use them for real - oh, oh - not quite as good a fix as we thought guys. That's screwed someone's promotion.
    You see these events are taking place in the real world btimsah - if you had some experience of it, then this sort of 'contradiction' would not cause you such grief.

11. URI IMU Registered Senior Member

>> In the end he and many others are trying to figure out why the spectral information and 4400 images have not been released. >>

Because the comet Tempel 1 is made of hydrogen peroxide ice, and in fact NASA was negligent and ??? could have destroyed the Earth.
    see "Whole World Alert" that was issued.

Basically they IMO must have egg all over their faces

12. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

That post is over a year old, John. The spectral information is freely available, and has been for 11 months.

The alert that you issued in a couple of online forums, was ignored by all?

Your H2O2 hobbyhorse is looking very tired.

13. URI IMU Registered Senior Member

Thanks Pete

I'll take a look

and it has recently been updated... Last Updated: 23-Jun-2006

I expect the results are not as conclusive as you think...

14. Huwy Secular Humanist Registered Senior Member

i dont know if there is another thread about htis but i need to vent.

way to go NASA dispelling all those "conspiracy theories" about the moon landing, by going and LOSING THE FUCKING ORIGINAL FOOTAGE.

i mean, i try to remain objective about these things. lets not get carried away by possible suspicions and myths that may be explained away by genuine reasons.
    but you lose the original footage? what, is that not like the most valuable footage that has ever existed, and you fucking lost it?

by the way, if you can put a man on the moon, why can't you convert a simple video format that is sent all the way from the moon to YOUR Screens, into the format that people used on their TVs? Why did you have to put a TV camera in front of YOUR SCREEN??

oh and someone tested your magic moon suit under the same heat conditions that the moon is under when the sun shines at it, and the suit melted.

starting to sound dodgy to me.

15. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

I wouldn't think so. I think the Zupruder tape would go for more at auction, and that more people were interested in the video of Janet Jackson's beast at the SuperBowl

Last edited: Aug 23, 2006
  16. URI IMU Registered Senior Member

Interesting to read Pete
    Seems they are not so cock sure anymore re water

Thanks