can anyone help

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by cygnusco24, Nov 28, 2001.

1. cygnusco24 Registered Member

I need a quick explanation for a 9 year old as to "why is the moon out in the daytime ?" . Her Mother told her because God likes it that way her father called me and i am at a loss as to how to explain it at that level ( I know it sounds easy at first but try explaining it to a young girl who thinks the dinasaurs and man co-existrd and the earth was created <less than 8,000 years .

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. rde Eukaryotic specimen Registered Senior Member

It's best explained with the aid of some tennis balls; if you set them up with the moon orbiting the Earth and both orbiting the sun, you'll see there are plenty of occasions where the sun shines on the moon while it's visible from Earth.

Did that make sense?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Riomacleod Registered Senior Member

It may be easier with a flashlight/lantern in a dark room, to show where the light is hitting... that's what helped me the most.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

"Well, you know....

For half of every month the moon is in the daytime sky (Last Quarter phase to First Quarter phase) with the sun, but the sun's light makes the sky so bright that the moon isn't as easy to see as when its nighttime.

And everyone knows you shouldn't look up at the bright sun because it can hurt your eyes, so many people don't even notice that the moon is up there when the sun is out."

8. esp Registered Senior Member

Just say the moon acts like a big mirror and reflects the sunlight.