Fomalhaut Saturn sized planet

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by blobrana, Jun 18, 2005.

1. blobrana Registered Senior Member

New observations from NASA's Hubble Space Telescope (HST) will be presented by astronomers during a media teleconference at 1 p.m. EDT, Wednesday, June 22.

A picture taken by Hubble has provided the most detailed visible-light image ever of a narrow, dusty ring around the nearby star <b>Fomalhaut</b>. It offers the strongest evidence yet, that an unruly and unseen planet could be gravitationally tugging on the ring.
    The findings will appear in the June 23 issue of Nature.

(source) http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2005/jun/HQ_m05101_New_Hubble_Picture.txt

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

(background info on my site...)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. blobrana Registered Senior Member

Caltech Submillimeter results confirm the ring-like morphology, but also show that the geometric centre is displaced from the star by about 8 AU.

The displacement is interpreted in terms of elliptical orbital motion due to gravitational perturbation by an unseen planet, with an implied forced eccentricity of ~ 0.06...

<a href="http://www.activeboard.com/forum.spark?forumID=58381&subForumID=150365">See!</a>

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Lucas Registered Senior Member

Last edited: Jun 22, 2005
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. blobrana Registered Senior Member

8. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

so if this is a solar system forming, how far behind our is it?

9. blobrana Registered Senior Member

The age is 100 - 300 million years old.

Compared to our 4.6 billion years....

10. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

ok, thanks. I could be a good way to study how our solar system might have evolved, but you probably already knew that.

11. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

That red picture is a real image or an artist's rendition?

It looks like the Eye of Sauron. Lidless. Wreathed in Flame.

12. BHS Riposte Artiste Registered Senior Member

Totally like Sauron. I think the guys at NASA owe Jackson some royalties.

13. Okeydoke Registered Senior Member

Two months if you're lucky. But don't look forward to moving there just yet until all the dust settles. That may take another 4 to 5 billion years.

Okeydoke

14. blobrana Registered Senior Member

Hum,
    As a side note, the nearby orange-red dwarf star TW Piscis Austrini located about 24.9 light-years away, has been determined to be a distant physical companion of Fomalhaut.

It too is about 100 – 300 million years old and shares the same common proper motion.
    And it happens to be a flare star(<i>variable star</i>), with a strong stella wind...

Through proper motion studies, another K5 dwarf (LTT 8273) is believed to be an optical companion.

These two stars , including Fomalhaut, Vega, and Castor may be the remaining members of a low-density star cluster that has gradually dispersed over a few hundred million year period.