warp speed

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by azizbey, Jun 15, 2005.

1. azizbey kodummu oturturum Registered Senior Member

as i watch Star Trek, i see Enterprise reach to warp speed? but at that speed , even a bean size rock in space rips thru the entire ship. I think warp speen occurs as space folds like paper. that way the rule of "nothing goes faster than light" is preserved, and travel outside the galaxy can be possible.
    any comments?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Novacane Registered Senior Member

If Captain Kirk's Enterprise can do it, anyone can do it. Zipppppppppppppppppppp! Onward to Andromeda and parts unknown. Don't forget to 'gas up' before leaving.

Novacane

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

From what I remember of the "Psuedoscience" of Star Trek warp speed was suppose to equal 1/4 the speed of light, although you'll usually hear them at "warp factor five".

With the different Star Trek programs there methods of stopping space debris "ripping a hole" in the ship was either through the use of "Force fields" or "Electroplating". Such ideas are interesting in real science however both concepts require in theory large amounts of power and clever array systems. With current science it's suggested that Science fiction is best staying just that.

One conversation I remember having on this very site some years ago was a point about Relativity in regards to the speed at which they travel. For instance if they spent 2 years during their 5 year mission travelling at warp six (1.5 light speed) when they return to earth the duration of time they will have been away would only be 4 yrs 4 months (calculation could be wrong)

This would mean they have aged more than the people of earth. The concept was made even more interesting if the duration of time was longer at faster than light speeds, in the conversation I had previously on the board it was suggested they would have to travel in a Triangle to "extend" the journey so no physics in regards to time got broken.

It made a wonderful pseudoscience point of what you would do in that event, however you then have the current fact that such speeds aren't possible for matter and only theoretically possible for "information" (QM, EPR Paradox)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. KitNyx Registered Senior Member

Would not travel FASTER than c move you backward it time? Therefore, any attempt to lengthen the voyage would move you further back in time. What you do is travel a fraction of the speed of light there then...wait, what am I talking about...if you...time would not move at all for you, so lengthening the voyage would do nada...if time effects you at any fraction of c, but not at c, what effect would it have on you at c+x? x being any absolute value of a velocity.

- KitNyx

8. deleted

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2007
  9. eburacum45 Valued Senior Member

The problem comes is when you exceed light speed both on your outward and return journey.
    You end up returning before you left.

There was a young lady named Bright,
    whose speed was much faster than light.
    She set off one day
    in a relative way,
    and returned on the previous night.

10. Janus58 Valued Senior Member

In the original series, the formula for warp factor went like this:

speed = warp^3 x c

IOW, you cube the warp factor to get how many time the speed of light you were traveling. Thus warp factor 5 would have them traveling at 125 times the speeed of light.

In the Next Generation, there had been a revolution in warp technology (the trans-warp drive?) and the warp factor scale was revised.

11. john smith Tongue in cheek Registered Senior Member

Forget about warp speed which = this :m: ,why not try some super speed,= :m: and this

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. The 2nd Einstein Registered Member

Mr Anonymous, Great post. But I have a question. How would time seem to travel to the person in the ship?

You know, tell me if I"m wrong. But when we evntually( or whereveer you stand on the subject) are able to fly faster than the speed of light, I don't htink that we are going to have super galactic starship races where the person who wins is the one with the most horse power under the hood. "Ya, mine has 20,000,000,000,000,000 horses. Beat that". " Oh ya, mine has 30,000,000,000,000,000,000,000. Beat that." You know. I think that once we are able to master the traveling aspect of this, I think that we will be able to manipulate it however we want. Or am I wrong. There are certainly probably some things out there that we have even gotten close to discovering that could propel us to any speed we want.

13. azizbey kodummu oturturum Registered Senior Member

whatever you speed is, you feel as you are on earth. when you travel close to c, if you look at your watch you wont see it running slower., however, you will see outside observer's watch running slower.

14. Novacane Registered Senior Member

How about a digital watch? Mine always runs slow, even when I'm driving at 60 miles and hour or near the speed of light.

Novacane

15. The 2nd Einstein Registered Member

I think I see. So you wont feel different or notice anything different in any way, but infact you are the affected variable in the equation between stand still time and speed of light time, right. Thanks for answering my question.

16. deleted

17. Okeydoke Registered Senior Member

Can you take a photograph thru the window (say for example of stars) while the spacecraft is traveling at light speed? If so, what would they (the stars) look like? Science needs to know.

Okeydoke

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. deleted

19. baumgarten fuck the man Registered Senior Member

Wait. Why is that? I thought light always travelled at c relative to all reference frames.

20. deleted

21. mardener Registered Senior Member

So if you were traveling at a speed faster than light would the outside view look as if you were actually going backwards? Becuase the light would be slower than you??

22. deleted

23. Balerion Banned Banned

I know this is an old thread, but please humor me....

How does the whole "You'd return the time you left or before" thing work? I don't understand it because you're still traveling distances, which takes time, correct?

And also, would the crew of the ship age accordingly, or would they be just as old or younger than they were when they left? I don't understand...

JD