Are we ever going to get out?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by The 2nd Einstein, Jun 11, 2005.

1. The 2nd Einstein Registered Member

Hello everyone. I would like to discuss where evryone stands on the subject of being able to get out of the Milky Way galaxy. You see, I am one of those people that dreams of going out into the universe and studying everything. First, a misconseption; so many people believe that Einsteins theory of Relativity shows that you cannot travel at the speed of light. But when put to the test, it merely shows that it would be incredibly- beyond belief- hard to go faster than the speed of light. So with that said, here are the possibilities.

1. Going faster than the speed of light.
    2. Using a wormhole.
    3. According to the fime theory, using a black hole.
    4. Finding an exotic matter with a negetive mass to propel craft.
    5. Other.

For 1.. I have explained it above. But to go further, an anonimous scientist stated that for every pound the craft weaghed, it would take 1 billion pouds of full to propel the craft passed the speed of light.

For 2. We don't yet know if they exist, but some scientists believ that we can create one by ripping a hole through the walls of the universe. We don;t have any idea how to do that, to my current understanding.

For 3. The fime theory states that if you passed directly through the top of the black hole, you would pass right through without getting harmed. But who wants to try that?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

For 4. This one is my favorite. The idea is, if you take an exotic matter with a negative mass( which, theoretically, could exist), basically strap it somehow to the front of a space craft, then take a huge mass equivelent to a large planet, and put it on the back of the ship. Here is what would happen. Objects bend space. A planet bends space quite noticably. If two crafts were traveling side by side, but one flew close to a planetary object in space, then even though they are both traveling at the same rate of speed, the one by the planet would fall behind because the space in which it is flying through is bent. For the people who don't know, objects bend space, and black holes rip through space. So what I am getting to is, if you can put an object torwards the rear of the ship that would bend space to make it longer in the rear, but in the front put an negetive mass object that would shorten normal space. Then the computers on the ship may be reading only 100,000 miles mer hour, but you could actually be going several times faster than the speed of light.

In conclusion, no matter what some scientists say today, I cannot see our civilization restained to our own galaxy in say, the next 1,000 years. I truly believe that the mind is the limit. If you believe in what I do, the Philipians 4:13 helps out my conversation. You can do all things through Christ Jesus who strengthens you. Not to affend anybody. Just what I believe. So what do all of you believe on this topic?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

M(fast)=M(rest)1/(1- v^2/c^2)^1/2

so you see, as v get infinitely close to c, 1/(1- v^2/c^2)^.5 goes to infinity. so before you could ever even get to c, your mass would be your original mass times infinity, which is infinity. moreover, you would need an infinite amount of energy to go faster. Where would you get an infinite amount of energy? (that is a rhetorical question, you can never have an infinite amount of anything.) furthermore, if you have an infinite amount of mass, you would curve space-time infinitely, which would just make the whole universe a black hole.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. DwayneD.L.Rabon Registered Senior Member

Last edited: Oct 12, 2005
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

What I believe is that none of this is a matter of belief. Given current physical understanding, the movement of mass through spacetime at or beyond the speed of light is not possible. This has been tested and verified in high energy particle accelerators, and no phenomenon in the observable universe - no matter what its energy - has ever produced a particle moving at or beyond c. Black holes do not involve anything moving faster than c. You cannot move faster than c. Upsetting, but true.

8. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

The 2nd Einstein,

As for the Jesus thing, if you really dream of going out into the universe to study everything (as a scientist maybe?) I hope you understand that objectivity is of paramount importance and belief is ultimately just not a factor. Belief in god(s) is a hard thing to defend if you claim to be truly objective. IMO.

9. The 2nd Einstein Registered Member

I'm sorry, not to denounce my own intelligence, but could you possibly explain that using easier to understand words? I just don't understand.

10. DwayneD.L.Rabon Registered Senior Member

Last edited: Oct 12, 2005
  11. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

I don't see why something should go faster than light? regaurdless of weather or not a boson(massless force carrying particle) can go faster than light, there is no way to get a person to the speed of light (c)

12. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

It would be nice to think we can go faster than light though. The speed of light is extremely slow in comparison to the size of the universe we are trying to explore. So unless we somehow devise a way (in the distant future) to break the speed limit or find shortcuts then we are really limited in how we can explore and play around with the universe.

I would've liked to think that one day we would have god-like powers that lets us do almost anything we can in exploring the universe (and beyond?).

13. Yorda Registered Senior Member

Even if we could travel at the speed of light, wouldn't we just... die, or something? It's such a high speed. Wouldn't space and time (including ourselves) completely vanish? Isn't the speed of light infinite? I don't mean when we observe it from the "outside". But if we could travel at the speed of light, if we could observe it from the viewpoint of the light...

We can probably go to other solar systems, maybe after 1000 years. But other galaxies... the only way is probably the spiritual way, since I believe this universe is just a manifestation of our mind.

14. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

You can do all things through Christ Jesus who strengthens you.

...the only way is probably the spiritual way...

References to religion will cause this thread to be closed. Please refrain. Thanks.

15. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Just think if you were to hit a small meteor while traveling at great speeds, you wouldn't be here for your craft would be vaporized!

If we were to leave our galaxy how certain is it we would find a place to live that we could survive on?

How much food will be needed to gett wherever we are going, that's a mighty big ship you'll be building.

16. Yorda Registered Senior Member

No one has said anything about religion on this thread.

17. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Yorda,

Did you read the thread starter?

18. Novacane Registered Senior Member

I'd just wait until ET lands here (if he ever does) for a friendly visit, then steal his space ship and head west. That's probably the simpliest and cheapest way to get out of the galaxy. But first I would get some instruction from ET on how to fly the dam thing and then where you can get some spare parts if you need them.

Novacane

19. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

for a trip like that, you would definitely need a self-sustaining eco system aboard, a "bio-dome" if you will.

yes, you would have to have either a laser or powerful magnet to deflect things like that. a collision going 80% of the speed of light (240000000m/s) would be one serious case of whiplash =]

20. Novacane Registered Senior Member

Remember it takes the same amount of energy to slow you down and land a spacecraft as it did to speed you up to get you there. In other words, can a spacecraft carry the amount of fuel or whatever it is and ultimately produce that kind of energy to do the job to get you to another star system let alone propel you out of the galaxy and finally slow you down and land once you get there? Say for example, the Andromeda galaxy?

Novacane

21. The 2nd Einstein Registered Member

"Q", I'm sorry for breaking the rules. But I"m not sorry for stating what I believ in. I just thought that it would help you all undertsand where I am coming from. It won't happen again on theses forums though.

By Cato,
    for a trip like that, you would definitely need a self-sustaining eco system aboard, a "bio-dome" if you will.

I really like this idea. I used to think of something like this where you basically had a huge room basically researved for this preseration of plants, which woul give you air. Is that what it is?

As far as the topic goes, With all of the stuff above in mind, I don't think the answer is if, I think that it is when. The reason why we are so dumbfounded by the complexities of coming up with a way to fly faster than the speed of light is simply because we don't have powerful enough mathematics or the understanding that we need of the universe. In the future I do think that we will be able to rip wormholes into the universe for our use, I do believe we will be able to go faster than the speed of light, and I do believe that we will find things that we had no idea about that would also benifet us as well. My goodness is fun to think of this stuff.

22. creek 1884 APOLO Registered Senior Member

Is this thread turning in to a comedy chanel...? ?

23. deleted

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2007