Bright Spot On Titan: Possibilities?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by btimsah, Jun 7, 2005.

1. btimsah Registered Senior Member

Looking at this image;

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The JPL says this:

"The spot is not unusually bright. The strange spectral character of this enigmatic feature has left the team with four possibilities for its source: the spot could be a surface coloration, a mountain range, a cloud, or a hot spot".

Would someone please tell me why, "Extraterrestiral Structure" is not a possibility? Now, again I'm not saying IT IS.

It appears that NASA NEVER considers this as a viable option. So my question is simple.

WHY IS ETI NEVER A VIABLE POSSIBILITY FOR NASA?

IS it a viable option? If so, why? If not, then why not? I am starting to get the impression that NASA is so afraid of misleading the public that they are afraid to ever mention ETI being involved in anything. It's not that they don't consider it privately, but they FEAR saying it publically. Make no mistake, that list of 4 possibilities will be used to answer it. They won't get high res photo's of the area to confirm it, will they?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Lucas Registered Senior Member

That feature is too great to be an alien artifact. What can be, a white blanket covering the surface? A white monument? A white zeppelin hovering over Titan? If it is some kind of construction I have to wonder why it has been constructed only in a spot of Titan and there are not constructions like that all around Titan.
    If it can be explained by some natural phenomenon (a cloud seems an attractive explanation to me), then there's no mystery

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. deleted

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2007
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. btimsah Registered Senior Member

So... are you saying it should not be a possibility? Or that it should? Right now they don't know what it is. So my question is that a viable possibility?

We don't know if it's too great to be an alien artifact. That is an impossible hypothesis to test given we don't know anything about aliens or if they even exist. Some theorize that aliens have created Moons as battlestations! That seems to big to me, but again we can't test any of it.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2005
  8. btimsah Registered Senior Member

Well, I understand that there are other option's BEFORE Eti. However that was not really my question.

I'm trying to get at the question of WHEN NASA can actually consider "ETI" as a viable option when explaining something unexplainable. Never? From what I gather, they will NEVER come to such a conclusion untill ETI is proven to exist. From what I understand it's not a cloud because it does not move.

The ridge on Iapetus is another object that a lot of scientists consider a "sign post" created by life-forms to get our attention, but the question is would NASA ever consider such a statement untill ETI is proven to exist?

9. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Uhm.. I'd say that "likely possibilties" is implied. Thus, "ET Base" wouldn't make the list of possibilities. They didn't like "god's spooge made it bright" either, but surely it's possible.

10. btimsah Registered Senior Member

Dare I ask how anyone can know that an ET Base is not likely, untill one has been found?

11. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Dare I ask how anyone can know that a Cthulhu shrine on Titan is not likely, untill one has been found?

12. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Though avatar already illustrated the point, I'm unsure how you could pose such a question and mean it. You are apparently not thinking clearly. Perhaps you're somehow emotionally involved with the idea of aliens. Perhaps its entertainment value or "hope supply" sways your mind from clarity.

A reasonable individual should IMO, base what is "probable" on their body of experience. It's exactly that one is not known to have been found that keeps it from being "likely".

If however, you had found one yourself but had only the experience as proof... I'd say "alien base" would be a reasonable thing for you to include in your list of possibilities.. especially if you've seen one from space and know how the light looks from up there. Regardless though, unless you have something more than the experience as evidence, you shouldn't expect anyone to believe you.

13. deleted

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2007
  14. btimsah Registered Senior Member

This is nothing more than a cheap debunkery tactic.

15. btimsah Registered Senior Member

Avatars point was absurd debunkery bullshit.

I don't know about the b.s. above, but, the question is; Should NASA consider the object to be of ETI? Make the list 5 possibilities, with the last being an intelligently built structure. Why not have that on the list?

16. btimsah Registered Senior Member

So what you're saying is that due to past failures, NASA and scientists in general are very cautious about such things. That's fine, and I have noticed that. I am not in anyway saying it has to be, or is an alien structure. However if they examine it and they see a damn building with saucer shaped crafts sitting out front - My question is; Are they looking for such things? Should they be? Why? Why not?

I honestly feel they should not be afraid to mention that as a possibility. Just a possibility. If NASA has done that several times before (as they should have) then nobody would over-react to it. Iapetus is probably a better example of it. I get the impression lot's of scientists find Iapetus to be a true anomaly, a sign-post built by other life forms to get someones attention. Now, would NASA ever mention that? Hell no!

I guess I'd just prefer a more open dialog and debate about these types of issues, because in the end we know very little about space and the question of ETI. NASA in no way has an open dialog about this issue, and many others. For instance, the question of weather or not Mars has mud. NASA still maintains it's impossible - even though Mud can readily be seen in their images!

The reason I asked this is because I am trying to get a true picture of the atmosphere around NASA and scientists/astronomers. How they look at "enigmatic" or unknown features, structures or formations.

17. Novacane Registered Senior Member

Probably just a white smoke cloud rising into atmosphere as a result of someone (A Titanite) cooking something (Frozen Fish Sticks) on the shoreline of one of Titan's liquid Methane lakes.

Novacane

18. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Can we consider its' fishcamp as a base?

19. Boris2 Valued Senior Member

a wasted effort i am sorry to say mr anonymous.

20. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

It may be something shiny on the surface reflecting some light. Maybe a crystal field of some sort, or a methane lake.

21. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

A bare uplifted area left by erosion or just stripped by a meteor. Some of that chemical slurry altered by unusual weather. Maybe lots and lots of mold.

22. btimsah Registered Senior Member

The bright area almost appears to be a frozen, bright cloud.

What temperature would you need to freeze a cloud?? lol :bugeye:

23. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

A cloud does not mean a cloud of water vapour. There are many other substances.
    But I guess there are people like you who see alien mother-ships in the clouds of Earth too.