Bible based economics?

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by BeHereNow, Apr 11, 2005.

1. BeHereNow Registered Senior Member

The quote from below was pulled from the Texas Republican party platform.
    I do not believe I have ever seen a claim that the bible is the basis of our economic system.
    I don’t see it myself. What am I missing?
    I also have serious problems with Biblical basis for our legal and political systems as well.

Traditional principles in education: the party supports school subjects with emphasis on the Judeo-Christian principles upon which America was founded and which form the basis of America’s legal and its political and economic systems.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

"Thou shall not steal" is a very important part of our economic system but the societies that follow other religions also don't allow stealing. We don't tithe unless you consider taxes tithing. I don't think the folks you were quoting thought about what they were saying. They just say whatever makes them feel the way they want to feel.

The Bible is filled with laws and rules that we don't follow. I understand some Christians say that Christ's death means we don't have to follow the rules if we accept Christ as our savior. Our legal system probably has more in common with the legal system of communist China than it has in common with the ancient Hebrew legal system. I do think the teachings of Jesus is an inspiration for bleeding heart liberalism but I have a feeling the Texas Christian Republicans don't like bleeding heart liberalism and ignore Jesus's teaching on how we should treat our fellow human beings.

Texas Republican's words may be passionate and sincere, but I don't expect them to be truthful or make any sense logically.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2005
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Roman Banned Banned

Depends on which bible. If we're talking Christianity, then I don't think we're allowed to charge usary (interest), or try to get wealthy. Something about rich men and camels and eyes of needles?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. BeHereNow Registered Senior Member

All of the major religions have anti-usary rules.
    Sometimes this means you can not charge your members, but you can those of other religions.
    Sometimes this means "acceptable" charges are okay, but excessive is forbidden.
    The Bible is often misquoted as saying "Money is the root of evil", when it says "The love of money is the root of evil". Even so, your reference is right on as far as I'm concerned.

Yes nirakar, sybolism over substance comes from both sides.