String Theory

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by AngelOfDisease, Apr 3, 2005.

1. AngelOfDisease Registered Member

Just curious to see how many of you in this forum believe in the String Theory and what your opinion on it is. I don't really believe in the whole mutliple universe business, but apparently there are hordes of people who want to take classes in this new field.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. blobrana Registered Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. mathman Valued Senior Member

The original question reflects a very common misapprehension about science. Unlike religion, science is not based on belief. Scientific theories are never absolute.
    (1)They can be very good if they agree with evidence.
    (2)They are bad if the evidence disagrees.
    (3)If the evidence is too sparse, then they are open to question and require much more study.
    From what I've seen, string theory and multiverse ideas fall into the third category.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2005
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Proteus Registered Member

the string theory is fairly acceptable since it explains some of the strange occurances of the universe that could not be explained before with the general theory of relativity and quantum mechanics eg why the gravitational force seems to be much weaker than the strong nuclear force and there is also no real evidence that would disprove the string/M theory

8. Gondolin Hell hath no fury like squid Registered Senior Member

I like to think its true. There was a good Nova episode about it one time, explained it very well and cleared up alot of questions I had about it. Makes more sense than anything else.

9. duendy Registered Senior Member

what worries me is their vision of a grand unified theory of everything. reminds me of the mindset pre-modern physics when they believed they just needed to tie up a through loose end and hey presto, its all sorted

10. Odin'Izm Procrastinator Registered Senior Member

I like the theory about the big bang that says it happened everywhere, and when they speak of expansion its happening everywhere at once, making everything stay the same relative to eachother. so there is no origin of the bigbang no centre, it also explains alot in terms of physics problems.

11. AngelOfDisease Registered Member

Alright, all of that sounds good enough. I'm just kind of new around here and was just interested in what you guys thought about it as I had been mentioning it in other posts and didn't really know what the stand point was. Yeah, it's kind of an old theory, but relatively new compared to some of the other questions that have been floating around for a multitude of years. Thanks for the output.