Who wants to give Undecided another shot?

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Stokes Pennwalt, Mar 30, 2005.

?

Repeal Undecided's ban?

Poll closed Apr 29, 2005.
  1. Let him back

13 vote(s)
    56.5%
  2. No way

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  3. Remember Go-Bots? They were like the Transformers only with less of a marketing base. I kind of wish

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  1. Stokes Pennwalt Nuke them from orbit. Registered Senior Member

As many of you are probably aware he was recently banned for what I understood to be some persistent flaming.

While I respect the decisions of the staff here, as theirs is a burden I do not envy, I am thinking it is worth giving Undecided another chance.

I know those of you who have been posting here for a while are probably in meltdown over seeing me post this, as Undecided and I have had some pretty intense disagreements that did not always remain friendly in the past. On one occasion he even tried to have me banned in here. Personal histories are irrelavent here, though. I have two reasons behind this proposal:
    1. I love a homogeneous debating environment. The less people around here there are to disagree with me and do so eloquently and thoughtfully, the more bored I become. Debating is fun. It is good mental exercise. Friendly discussions are great, but personally I find that I learn more when things become a bit heated and contentious. Undecided added that element to these forums and I miss it.
    2. He's still growing as a poster. I know this is going to sound condescending as hell, but when I first began posting here, Undecided (then nico) would post huge run-on paragraphs ripe with poor spelling and grammar. Some of them were completely incromprehensible, or illegible. That was around mid-2003 or so. At the time of his last banning, his posts were generally coherent and informed - exactly what I like to read in a thread, whether I agree with the premise presented or not. While he already holds a degree of aptitude that is, in my opinion, above average in this forum, being that he is currently in higher education I can only see the content of his posts continuing to improve. Basically, he contributes more to these forums than he takes from them, and this contribution:subtraction ratio only shows signs of increasing.
    Before you vote, please put aside whatever disagreements or enmity that exists or has existed between yourself and Undecided and objectively consider whether or not you believe he has something to offer the Sciforums community.

If I can, so can you.

EDIT: It is my understanding that such a poll is within regulations. If not, I apologize, and do with it what you must.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

I think he should be brought back. I am not active in the WE&P forums and so am not aware of his infractions that got him banned, but I seriously doubt that they were severe enough to count as banworthy in my book.

At present, the forums appear to be going through another slight moment of... increased punishment for minor infractions. The pendulum swings as is the way, but we should always be wary of this urge to ban intelligent posters for anything short of murder.

We're all grown-ups here (except for the kids. And they'd better just get used to it.) and we can handle a little rough talk every now and again.

That said, I find it doubtful that he'll be allowed back. Generally decisions such as ths are final. However, Undecided is not Spookz and so perhaps will be let back in for his worth to the forum.

And, if he is allowed back in, I don't think he should be forced to apologize or promise never to do it again, or anything similar. As I said before, we're all grown ups here.

Edit:
    Oh. GoBots sucked so bad it wasn't even funny. They all looked stupid. Transformers ruled. Especially when they came out with the second generation where the younger guy took over for Optimus Prime. Or was Optimus Prime transformed into him... or something? Been a while.

Ahh. GI Joe and Transformers. An old ritual long unscratched.

Edit Again:

Speaking of increased punishment for infractions. It appears that we've lost a member (actually more than one, but a recent one has come to my attention). Roman hasn't been back since he was banned for 3 days for calling Truthseeker a pussy. Can you blame him? How many times has Truthseeker been called a pussy down the years? That should be an initiation ritual into the forums, not a bannable offense. Southstar was also banned for similar spurious reasons. BigBlueHead made mention of this trend in his message to Wes as one of his reasons for not being an active poster anymore.

The beauty of this forum is the openness of the discussion. Sometimes they degenerate into childish flames, sometimes they don't. But if our means of discussion are limited so heavy handed it can only mean bad things for the forum.

How many valuable members must be lost before this point is driven home?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2005
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. plexus Registered Senior Member

I thought he was on vacation, no?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. 15ofthe19 35 year old virgin Registered Senior Member

Roman hasn't been back since he was banned for 3 days for calling Truthseeker a pussy. Can you blame him? How many times has Truthseeker been called a pussy down the years? That should be an initiation ritual into the forums, not a bannable offense.

That might be the funniest thing ever posted on Sciforums.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

And I couldn't agree more. How can you ban someone for merely stating the obvious?

8. Jolly Rodger Banned Banned

and then there is the dancing bots, the go-go bots

9. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

The boards have been quite boring as of late. I've always looked forward to Undecided's posts since they were informative and had bite to them. Heck, he's the one that kept the politics and world sections going. Now they're dead.

- N

10. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Good. Politics is just a lot of asslicking and asskicking, not science.

11. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

He did ask for it

I’m back after being unjustifiably banned yet again by the all hating, senile, and hypocritical goofyfish (I will be awaiting my response Goofy in my PM box ASAP).

I believe he was given the permanent vacation right afterwards.

As a moderator on another forum, you know that you would have taken action if that had been addressed to you Stokes. Seeing as he was freshly back from a warning ban, my bet is your reaction would have been the same.

But he really brought up some good points, and the forum is less interesting with him gone. There are certainly some semi regular participants around here that I feel are more deserving of being shown the door. Not so much because I disagree with them, but because of how they respond when their ideas are challenged.

I don't like to step on my dick, so I don't start threads that I cannot support. So I limit my participation to joining in on threads that are already developing. Without some good shit stirrers, things get very sleepy around here. But maybe that is how some want it.

All I know is, all of the people I work with ever want to talk about are movies, television, sports, and music that I don't like. And their views on politics range from non existent, to exclusively formed by Fox news and right wing radio. So if I want to talk about movies, music, television, and sports that I do like, or talk about politics at all, the internet is my only outlet. If not here, then somewhere else.

12. vslayer Registered Senior Member

we need him back, its getting so lonely in there i only venture in once a week or so

13. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Sure, let him back. I don't visit WE&P as much as I used to, but for his love of Duran Duran to Paul Martin, Undecided's an interesting fellow.

14. Roman Banned Banned

If anything, Undecided could write well and construct decent arguments. We should let him back, just for that. Unfortunate that he hashes on the Fish so hard. Goofy's a decent guy and a great mod.

15. vslayer Registered Senior Member

keep sucking up. eventually we will appear pathetic enough that our demand will be met

16. Satyr Banned Banned

I would love to give Undecided another shot.
    Problem is I never gave him an original shot to begin with.

17. Roman Banned Banned

Another shot... in the mouth.

18. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Yes, shoot teh bastard!!

19. Roman Banned Banned

Spawn camper.

20. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

He tried coming back, sometime before scis went down, but as soon as he'd register he'd be banned. I suppose goofy got really tired of him.

He was a good poster, very informative, unlike many of us.

21. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

aha, whitewolf is undecided in disguise!!
    shoot teh bastard!!

22. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

I'll make you eat your nipples. Don't spam this thread or it'll be moved into cesspool and my post count will go down.

23. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

go down says you? go down says I!

shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!! shoot teh bastard!!