has minor gravity been observed?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Entropic, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Entropic Registered Senior Member

i know that gravity is evident in planetary movement, and on our planets surface, and would take a blind man to not notice that there is attraction. But has gravity been observed or tested between 2 minor objects, say ones that aren't planets. Please don't tell me the theory of universal gravity, i have heard it, and im not on about that, i just want to haved links to it

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gambit Star Universal Entity Registered Senior Member

Good question, I have always wondered about gravitational influences.

I would like to see an experiment involving two random objects in low gravity with static. (They could use a decending airplane for the gravity and have a small lab inside).

It would be interesting to note what would happen when static is less inflicted by gravational consequences.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Blindman Valued Senior Member

Yes in 1780 someone (cant remember the name) measured the strength of gravity. They did this by suspending a rod with two weights at ether end from a wire. A mirror attached to the wire would reflect a light beam, effectively allowing the user to observe even the smallest twist in the wire. Then various object were placed near one of the suspended weights, gravity would pull the weight causing the wire to twist and the light beam to move.

It is interesting to note that right down to sub atomic scales the inverse square rule holds true for gravity but this may not be true at even smaller scales. Until we find a way to measure gravity over such short distances we will not know.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2005
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. TheHeretic Registered Senior Member

all matter has gravity. A planet, a grain of sand they both have gravity. If two men are floating in space relatively close to each other. They would eventually collide into each other and change direction, then they would seperate for a while and then they may attract back to each other or keep on going.