Cosmic Call

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by wet1, Nov 15, 2001.

1. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

If you were to attempt to communicate with an alien civilization that you knew nothing about how would you try to do so? This is what the people of Cosmic Call thought of...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

A Cosmic Call to Nearby Stars
    Credit & Copyright: Yuvan Dutil & Stephane Dumas
    Explanation: If you could send a message to an alien civilization, what would you say? The people from the Cosmic Call project sent the above image as the first page of a longer message. The message was broadcast toward local stars by radio telescope during the summer of 1999. The single-dish, 70 meter diameter telescope is located in Ukraine on the Crimean peninsula near the town of Evpatoria. This first page involves only numbers and so is much easier for puzzle solvers to decode than a more famous message broadcast toward distant star cluster M13 in 1974

http://navigation.helper.realnames....ix.html&frameid=1&providerid=113&uid=30005729

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

wet1 ...

I have to wonder how valid the assumption that the binary counting system would be understood is.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I have other questions also, what if they "see" in another spectrum? What if they're method of thought does not allow counting? Are they then intellegent?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Well, it is just what you 'understand' about the subject of being intelligent.
    Are we intelligent because the humans invented numbers and a way to count 1 and 1 together??

Who say's that is the right way?? Maybe some extraterrestrials have a very good laugh about all these controlling systems the human race invented, as counting and time to make a day in 24 hours.
    All invented to have control over their lives.

Perhaps these extraterrestrials have a much better way to live THEIR lives.

Just a thought....

8. rde Eukaryotic specimen Registered Senior Member

I think you're all being a bit negative. If you're trying to contact an alien intelligence, you've got to make a couple of assumptions. You have to assume that their idea of intelligence has a similarity to ours; that they have a scientific outlook. You've also got to assume that they'll look for a signal in anything obviously artificial.

Regarding the spectrum: I doubt very much that any intelligence, even if they use sight, use the same bits of the electromagnetic spectrum as we. However, if they're possessed of a curiosity, they'll examine anything across a wide range of wavelengths, just as we would.

As for binary: this is another one of those assumptions. Binary numbers are so important to us because of computers, but they are the simplest number system possible (to my knowledge, anyway). If you're trying to communicate with someone with whom you have no common frame of reference, it makes sense to start with the simplest.

9. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

rde, it was meant in a little sarcastic way.

You really think extraterrestrials will go figure out what these 'Runes' mean?

I guess it is pretty arrogant to think there are no other 'intelligent' Beings in the Universe(s).

Why is it that this human race is so pretty convinced that they are the most 'intelligent' creatures in this Universe we live in?

I guess it is not true, for the Whales are d**n intelligent and so there are a lot of other Animals who have intelligence and do think and have a big memory, look at the Elephants for instance.

Extraterrestrials who are looking down on this Planet really may shake their 'head' if they see how we live here on Earth, with our so called intelligence and the selfconvinced behaviour that comes with it.

So humans have send a message in Runes to contact extraterrestrials. Well, it is rather peculiar to think they will answer to that one.

I guess they only contact Earth if necessarry and only the humans who live their lifes in a little less arrogance, so to say.
    For I am not convinced that humans are the most 'intelligent' species here on Earth.....
    And then, they invented the word intelligent themselves.
    It is just what you understand about the word intelligent, for I really think there are much more intelligent Beings on this Earth.

But if the human race has to admit that, they are afraid to lose control over this Planet, with all their 'needly' inventions.

Have a nice day rde.

10. rde Eukaryotic specimen Registered Senior Member

I don't think it's so much arrogant as ignorant of the probability. We live in a world where people doubt the moon landings happened; I doubt many would have problems with Earth being the sole repositry of intelligence in the universe. Having said that, I've no doubt that most people who think seriously about the subject, and who have awareness of what the phrase 'billions and billions' really means will consider humanity to be far from alone in the universe.

Regarding the decypering of the message: saying that no-one will be able to decyper it is just plain silly. You might as well complain that it's unlikely anyone will ever see it. Even if true -- and I've little doubt that it is -- the attempt should still be made.

Extraterrestrial searches aren't aiming at whale-like animals; they're aimed at intelligent beings who've also harnessed technology. You've got to start somewhere.

11. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

rde, I agree with you thus far as you say extraterrestrials should not have technology.

How you know that? Have you met them? Tell me more about them and their Biospheres they have to travel with through the Universes if one of their Planets is doomed to fade away.

Any knowledge about this particular subject?

Never said extraterrestrials don't have technology.

And are you sure it is what we really need? All this technology is not necessarry, only the ones who keep the human race alive and warm in the colder days, so to say.

For fire was one of mankinds first inventions. Later there was electricity, but that isn't that long ago they invented that....
    Just in the late 1800's.

It is in the last 50 - 60 years that humans invented the rest of all the crap what is invented.
    And it is not all crap, but a lot is unnecessarry, just bullshit.
    With that I mean all inventions against the human race, to wipe eachother away and bring more hurt to other humans feelings...

As far as the Whales concern, wish I was one, for they are no killers, they live in peace and balance with Earth and the Seas and the only enemy they have.....Exactly, the human race!!

12. rde Eukaryotic specimen Registered Senior Member

That's not what I said. I said no-one is trying to communicate with aliens who don't use technology, as there'd be no point. So the search is aimed at civilisations that do use technology
    And other whales, of course. Killer Whales eat most other types of whale.

13. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Yes, the Orca's, beautiful Animals, really.

They are cleaning up a little in the Oceans, like the Sharks do too, it is a Natural balance, which belongs in the Oceans.
    Most of the time it are the old and the weak who are taken by your so called killer Whales. And every once in a while there are some rebels who take a younger one, just because they can get to it, for the other Whales, to whom this young (calf) belongs are not looking after him/her very close and then it happens, yes...

But to get back at the thread....The Cosmic call.....

Do you really think we have a greater knowledge of technology then others who live in these Universes?
    I am not so sure of that. Well, they send a message into Space in Runes, but I guess extraterrestrials don't need that (stupid) message, for they have their own way's to look down at Earth.
    They do not need a message in which the human race 'asks' them to contact them....

If you were an extraterrestrial, travelling through Space and you came by Earth and looked down upon Her, would you prefer to put your Spacecraft down here and make contact with our so called worldleaders??

Guess you better think twice before you do that, for you are taken to a lab immediately to be examined and cut into pieces to see what you look like inside of you (being an extraterrestrial).
    For the leaders of this world are so paranoid nowadays, they first shoot, then shoot again, examine you thoroughly and then, later start asking questions....

Being in Space, you have a nice look upon Earth and who knows, you can hear the screaming from all the fightings and you can hear the crying of all those who are badly hurt or who has just lost their loved ones. I bet you can see the pollution also, for the Ecosphere is really badly damaged, so there must be a kind of 'mist' hanging above Earth.

Then there are all those satelites, hanging there in Space, to spy at other countries and the satelites which make us able to look at the television and so on. (was that really a good invention? TV?)

Perhaps there is coming a lot of noise from Earth and it ain't pretty noises you will hear, for all the fightings are getting worse and worse and humans get shouting louder and louder to one another, 'cause they are afraid no one listens to them.
    For a lot of humans close themselves off for the feelings and words of other humans. They are already hurt to much and are afraid they will be hurt much more if they keep on talking to other humans.

I have the feeling the extraterrestrials are a lot closer then most humans think, but then again, I can't proof a thing to you.
    Just a good Inner feeling....

Please give me a reply on this, I like to talk more about this subject.

Thank you.

14. rde Eukaryotic specimen Registered Senior Member

No. I just think there's no point in trying to communicate with anyone less advanced, as they wouldn't be able to detect and/or interpret any signal.

I doubt it. In the (incredibly unlikely) event of an ET making the journey to Earth, if came into orbit publicly, no government on Earth would dare, ahem, give it an anal probe.

Rubbish. Do you consider trees felled by beavers to be 'pollution'? Ants killed by other ants to be an atrocity? If the aliens as superior as you seem to think, they'd view us the same way as we view these lesser creatures. It's more likely however, that they'd recognise the pollution for what it was; an inevitable result of technological progress outstripping ecological awareness.

15. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Lesser creatures???

Well, I have to say you are pretty arrogant, for the Ants and the Trees and the Beavers were on Earth long, long before the first man came crawling out of the Seas.

And their felling Trees is Natural behaviour, for the Beavers keep the Woods in good shape and take care of the Woods in a Natural way.

And there are a lot of Insects who kill Trees either, in which humans do interfere but without succes. That is not such a good sign, because this behaviour and the up coming number of all these Insects is part of the pollution.
    Humans invented poison to kill Insects and because of their Naturel existance they have devoloped a Naturel resistance against this poison, so their numbers are increasing.
    So who is to blame for the dying of these beautiful Trees in this case??

And who said that extraterrestrials are NOT down here on Earth...

You have evidence for that?

What about humans who have had encounters with Spacecrafts???
    It happens to often to be overlooked....

Guess the extraterrestrials do have technology, in a whole different way, but they certainly do have technology.

Well, I asked you for evidence, I can't give it either...

But it is a good discussion. Let's go on with it. It is nice to hear how you think and look at this subject. And it isn't disagreement, just another opinion...

16. rde Eukaryotic specimen Registered Senior Member

I used the word deliberately; I was wondering what kind of argument you'd come up with for the superiority of ants. And longevity is no sign of superiority; if it is, you'll have to accept that we're better than all other animals when we wipe them out. Good to know we're better than dodos, anyway.

You, along with most of the rest of the world, seem convinced that humanity is somehow set apart from the rest of the universe; that 'natural' applies to everything except us. Not so. We're made of the same atoms as beavers, and our actions are just as natural as theirs.

How many extinctions over the last zillion years would you say have been a result of overpopulation of one animal or another? How concerned do you think beavers are with forest management? If there were only three trees left beside a river and our beaving chum needed them, do you think it'd leave them for the sake of conservation?

Now I'm confused. If we invented the poisons (a highly dubious assumption), then the fact that they've evolved resistance merely means that we had little effect on them in the long run. If we didn't invent them, then it's not our fault that the numbers are increasing, and we had littel effect on them in the long run.
    No. Nor do I have evidence that pixies are not down here on Earth.

It's overlooked because it's ridiculous.

17. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

rde, thank you so much for the good replies.

I disagree with you on the Insects. Never heard of the way the humans keep their growing corn and so on safe from Insects?
    With poison....invented by humans.

The Insects got used to these poisons and built up resistance against it. That is why there are so many of them now a days.

You want to know about the Beavers and 3 Trees left? If there are only 3 Trees left on Earth, there won't be Beavers around any more. Think...the Beavers don't survive without Trees to built their dams and houses. Without Trees there is no Oxigen and everything will die.

Humans populations in the Ancient World are wiped out by a Natural disaster, a big Meteor, or Comet if you like, hit the Earth long, long ago. It had the impact of a big atomic bomb and laid a dark mist upon Earth, so there was no life possible because the Ozonlayer was blinded by that Mist and couldn't give Oxigen to Earth to develop new life forms.
    It took a long, long time before that dark Mist was gone and from there the first life forms started to come up again.
    And Man was the last one.

Look it up at the Internet, with a search machine or so. I will try to find it and get back with the link to you in the following reply.

Oh yes, humans are part of the Universe(s). Certainly they are, no doubt about that. Humans exist for 65% out of water and a lot of humans react on the Moon when She is ful.
    Pay attention when the Moon is ful, more accidents, more violence in the streets and bars and also more newborn babies and good feelings for others.
    Every human reacts in another way. But they always react Naturally at infuences from out the Cosmos. They just don't realize it any more, because they are to busy with themselves and interfering with others and material luxury and they totally are forgotten about their Inner feelings.

And then you say it is ridiculous that there should be 'things' like Spacecrafts from Outer Space?
    Why?
    You really think humans are the only ones in the Universes who live their lifes and think and make inventions?

Well, I think that is ridiculous....

18. Teri Curious Registered Senior Member

What if....

What if intelligent life has been trying to communicate with us for eons but we haven't worked out how they are doing it? We know of radiation, radio waves, microwaves, soundwaves, gamma rays, laser beams, etc etc.... but what if there's something we haven't discovered yet that is relaying messages to us and it's us who are not intelligent enough to have discovered it?

On another tangent, if nature alters its lifeforms to survive hostile invaders, then why, for instance, when we've been destroying our teeth with sugar over the years, are our teeth not becoming immune to decay? Babies of alcoholics or smoker aren't born with upgraded livers and lungs; they're born sometimes disadvantaged. Humans are not genetically changing to conform with the environment we have made for ourselves. We're slowly making ourselves extinct.

Just food for thought.
    Cheers.
    Teri

19. rde Eukaryotic specimen Registered Senior Member

Responding to various points...

First of all, most poisons used nowadays are natural; mankind has invented very few, if any. Secondly, you seem to be saying that if we hadn't used poisons, there would be fewer insects today. That doesn't make sense.
    Fair point. But my general point still remains; many, many species of animal and vegetable have contributed to - and been directly responsible for - the downfall of
    other species in the past, and will continue to be in the future. I'm not defending humanity's record on this point - it's pretty appalling - but we're unique in that we're finally realising what it is we're doing, and why we should stop.
    No. I'm pretty convinced that there's life on other planets in this galaxy, and reasonably sure there's intelligent life. But I'm positive that it hasn't been visiting Earth. Of all the UFO sightings each year, most can be explained through physical or psychological reasoning. And to claim that the rest must be aliens merely because we don't understand them is, as I said, ridiculous.
    It's possible. But the fact that they're using a medium of which we're unaware doesn't make us less intelligent, any more than a man without a radio is less intelligent just because he can't listen to Britney Spears.
    Technology is driven as much by chance as by culture; intelligence is a tiny factor.
    Because no reproductive advantage is conferred by healthy teeth. If there were a global taboo against having sex with people who have bad teeth, then you would - eventually - see a gradual increase in dental health. This could either be through artificial selection - people eating less sugar - or natural selection - people with immunity to decay are more likely to reproduce.

20. Teri Curious Registered Senior Member

To rde

My thoughts on your response.

"Because no reproductive advantage is conferred by healthy teeth. " - Without teeth we don't eat, if we don't eat we die; so teeth, in my opinion, would be considered a very important factor in the reproductive mechanism.

Re the other topic, I wanted to point out that our intelligence may not have caught up with the intelligence of other beings. We may be completely ignorant to extraterrestrial life on this planet because of that very reason. Really, we have no proof either way.

Teri

21. rde Eukaryotic specimen Registered Senior Member

Re: To rde

Not when you can go to a dentist and get fillings, false teeth, etc. If none of these was available, then yes, evolution would play its part. But we live in a world where survival is no longer limited to the fittest; people with many disabilities live out their natural lifespan.

I'm not sure what you mean. If you're saying that there might be aliens among us merely because there's no conclusive proof against the fact, I must humbly disagree. I can't state categorically that they aren't hidden amongst us obeying some alien Prime Directive, but nor can I say pixies aren't doing the same thing. If you're suggesting that they're on Earth and trying to commuicate and failing, then they can't be that intelligent. If they can see that we're intelligent - and why would they try to communicate otherwise - then they would use methods with which we're familiar, or at least capable theoretically of understanding.

22. Teri Curious Registered Senior Member

To rde

Hi there,
    I'll have to get back to you on the tooth thing because I've forgotten what my point was (I'm having a blond day)

BUT,

You can't really discuss the prospect of intelligent life forms or alien beings living on this planet when you compare them with pixies or leprecorns (if I misspelt that, forgive me). Pixies and such are the product of healthy imaginations. Fun for children and good fodder for fairytales.

If you don't want to at least entertain the idea that there is extraterrestrial intelligent life in the universe, then that's okay. That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I can't honestly say I believe there are ETs on this planet because as I said earlier we really can't prove it either way. I was just putting the possibility out there, that we don't know everything there is to know yet, so we can't be arrogant enough to believe that we do know everything.
    Gee I hope that made sense.
    Cheers
    Teri

23. rde Eukaryotic specimen Registered Senior Member

Re: To rde

Leprechauns may be the product of healthy imaginations, but alien abductions are the product of unhealthy imaginations, psychosis, TLE...

Thanks. But that's not my opinion. As I said, I believe the universe is teeming with life. I just don't think it's on Earth, anally probing rednecks and/or failing miserably to communicate. There's no evidence whatsoever for this. The fact that there's no evidence against it is no argument.