pictures of other planets

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by THC, Mar 16, 2005.

1. THC Registered Member

when do you we will get a picture of a planet from another solar system?
    hubble recently took that "picture from farthest away ever" not too long ago, right? but we still don't have pictures of planets revolving another sun? where would it be from, Andromeda, right?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. 0scar J'aime La Moutarde Registered Senior Member

I don't we will be able to any time soon for a very long time. Our instruments are not nearly sensitive enough to 'see' a planet revolving around another sun. Its like if you aimed your camera at the sun, then threw a pebble in front of the camera and took a picture. You would have a bright spot in the middle and black around the edges.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Maddad Time is a Weighty Problem Registered Senior Member

When we do manage to get our optics good enough to resolve a nearby planet, the key is nearby. It will be around one of the closer stars, probably within 20 light-years. The very closest star is Proxima Centauri which is only 4.2 light years away, so the wild guess of 20 light-years is reasonable. Andromeda though is 2,000,000 light years away. You ain't gonna see no stinkin' planet that blamed far away!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. blobrana Registered Senior Member

Hum,
    Yeah it would be fairly difficult with today’s equipment.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

(A possible planet captured by the Hubble Space Telescope, is slightly less than 10 times as massive as Jupiter, and orbits a white dwarf star.
    The object is one of three planet candidates found in a new study of white dwarf stars between 30 and 55 light-years away.
    The other two candidates appear to be about 15-20 times as heavy as Jupiter. )

8. 0scar J'aime La Moutarde Registered Senior Member

Yeah I guese I didn't take into account planets that would be circling a white dwarf, especially a planet 10 times the size of jupiter circling a white dwarf. So I suppose it is possible that is a planet.

9. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

I really hope that in my lifetime, that we have a telescope capable of seeing land features on planets beyond the solar system. Wouldn't it be something if we seen one just like earth?

10. eburacum45 Valued Senior Member

The landforms on Earth are difficult to see from the Moon; it would need a fantastically powerful scope to map an extrasolar Earth-type world.

I would be content to see a blue dot.

11. Maddad Time is a Weighty Problem Registered Senior Member

I'd be content to go visit the place.

12. THC Registered Member

no.
    'they' should make a ridiculously large camera on The Moon.

13. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

Well there are plans for a 100 meter telescope I read. Not sure how good it will be under earths atmosphere, but it's gotta be pretty good. It would be great on the moon... although that is a few generations away.

14. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Search on TPF (Terrestrial Planet Finder).

15. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

16. Maddad Time is a Weighty Problem Registered Senior Member

We've got 200 inch optical telescopes on Earth. Imagine a 1,200 incher on the far side of the moon. No light polution, no atmospheric aberation. Train that bad boy on the Andromeda galaxy and you'd be able to read ET's license plate.

17. Gambit Star Universal Entity Registered Senior Member

its only time before they have visual proof of another planet.

When the second hubble telescope is up and running with new capablilities then I think astronomers all over the world will be united in the event.

18. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

The first true photograph of an extrasolar planet, especially a really Earthlike one... that will be a salutory experience for millions. And just imagine if we could make out the green of vegetation. or even city lights on the nightside!

19. Gambit Star Universal Entity Registered Senior Member

20. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

I heard about these 'laser guided' telescopes in space due to be launched in 2025. I wasn't even aware of this, I can't belive it isn't more discussed or anticipated because aparently this will have the capability of giving us an image of possibly other earth like planets!

Almost too good to be true. Imagine the possibilities...

21. Boris2 Valued Senior Member

22. top mosker Ariloulaleelay Registered Senior Member

The christians will deny it as a trick of the devil.

23. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

Nonono, you mean God put it there as a test of our faith, lol.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2005