DOGON'S SIRIUS B:EVIDENCE FOR EXTRATERRESTRIAL?or JUST A MYTH?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Rick, Nov 14, 2001.

1. Rick Valued Senior Member

One of the very striking and intriguing mystery is the mystery of Dogon tribe's belief about SIRIUS B. SIRIUS A is the brightest star in the sky. the dogon tribe contend that it has a dark and invisible companion star which orbits elliptically in every fifty years.they state that companion star is very small and heavy,made of metal called SAGALA which is not found on the earth.the remarkable fact is that Sirius A does have a very dark(extraordinary in various respects) companion Sirius B,which does orbit elliptically aroud Sirius A every fifty years...now Sirius B is invisible to naked eye.how could a primitive tribe know about such a thing?

And then i come to our great CARL SAGAN for answers...he has given three possibilties:

1.)They had invented a Telescope much earlier.

2.)At that time Sirius B was visible to naked eye as it was a red giant star.

3.)dogon mythology gives importance to twins.

well,i certainly dont know,but dont you think that these three possible explainations seem to be a desperate attempt to avoid our encounter with mystical,i mean come on CARL,certainly star's life cycle cannot change that fast.what do you think?inputs are welcome.
    however i think importance to twins can hold its ground.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Rick Valued Senior Member

Sorry!

i didnt know our Cosmos Guru had already posted something like that.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.