odd stationary flashing light???

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by zyncL18, Nov 12, 2001.

1. zyncL18 Registered Member

last night around 11:00pm, I saw what looked like a star that was flashing or changing color. I looked at it with binoculars, and it was clearly flashing blue, red, and green, on what seemed to be regular intervals. It was in the low eastern sky, and didn't move at all. A guy I was with said he had seen it the night before, doing exactly the same thing. Any ideas? I don't know astronomy, but I thought it could be a planet, or a satellite, or something else? I'm really curious as to what it could be.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

Planets dont flash or twinkle. They look like bright unwavering stars in the sky. I think it was a star. I heard that stars that are full of different elements give off different colors. Im not sure I could be wrong, but i bet it was a star.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Boris2 Valued Senior Member

That covers everything I guess ;-)

On a more serious note. See if it is there another night, get a bearing of where it is. During the day look in the same spot with your binocs and see if anything is there.

Get a map of your area and see if there are any buildings, masts etc in that direction.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. zyncL18 Registered Member

I'm pretty sure there's nothing in that direction...and it wasn't like any kind of tower or mast I've ever seen. The light was white, but there were colored flashes too.

8. thed IT Gopher Registered Senior Member

This sounds a lot like the 'twinkling' you can get in stars due to the atmosphere. Don't suppose you where looking at Sirius where you? On very clear nights that is very bright and twinkles beautifully if there is ice in the upper atmosphere.

You can find Sirius on the map below,

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!