Quantised Galactic Redshift?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Laika, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Laika Space Bitch Registered Senior Member

Is galactic redshift really quantised or was the claim unfounded? If it really is, what are the implications?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. blobrana Registered Senior Member

Hum,
    Well, what we maybe seeing in the data is the bubble like structure of rthe universe.
    This would give the illusion the there were `jumps` in the redshift.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Laika Space Bitch Registered Senior Member

I thought that too, but then I thought that it wouldn't work unless the galactic walls and filaments were arranged nigh on concentrically around the Milky Way. Otherwise, those structures that were oblique to us would still show a continuum of redshift. Not to mention the fact that the sizes of the voids are (I presume) not uniform.

Blobrana, by not questioning the fact of the quantised nature of the redshifts themselves, are you confirming that it's a real phenomenon?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. blobrana Registered Senior Member

Hum,
    I haven’t read up on the subject but from what I remember there <b>does</b> seem to be a <i>quantised element</i> to the red shift data from the last survey analysed.
    <font color=pink>< It’s all still questionable ></font>

But; if it were true….
    Then either space expands in `jumps` (<i>rather than smoothly and continuously</i>), or the red shift theory is wrong…. (<b>And it’s not `something` else</b>)….

That would just throw up <b>huge</b> problems.

For one we would have to question the big bang scenario (<i>bearing in mind we would also have to also question steady state theory</i>), we would then have to account for this new phenomena, and all the phenomena that the big bang theory has answered, so we’d have to probably rewrite quantum theory…

I, for one, think that the `<b>something else</b>` will account for this quantified red shift ; wither that be <b>errors in the data</b> or some <b>unaccounted feature</b> of photons or ,as I already said, the <b>large scale structures</b> in the universe.

<font color=pink>< /It’s all still questionable ></font>

The sizes of the voids are indeed quite regular; and like a infinitly large piece of graph paper it doesn’t matter <i>where</i> you place the centre, it seems like that it’s the centre of the universe, with the `walls` spaced out at equal intervals away from you….

Last edited: Mar 7, 2005
  8. Lucas Registered Senior Member

Laika, take a look to this paper of November 2004
    http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0411548

It says that redshift quantization do really exist, and that some quasars are indeed "axionic bubbles"

My opinion: redshift quantization is a myth

Last edited: Mar 8, 2005
  9. Laika Space Bitch Registered Senior Member

Blobrana, it's the fact that the universe has no centre that makes me doubt the structural solution. Even if the galactic walls and threads were as regular as graph paper, a continuum of galactic distances would still exist, depending on the direction in which you looked. For galactic distances themselves to be quantised would require the structures to be perpendicular to our line of sight in all directions. Galaxies would need to populate shells (like an onion), centred on the Milky Way, and at fixed distances from it. Or am I being silly?

Lucas, thanks for the link. The maths in that paper is completely impenetrable to me, although I read the abstract. I'm far from informed about particle physics, but to me it sounded like guff. If you understood the paper yourself could you put it into layman's terms for me?