Flat Tax

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by Muhlenberg, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Muhlenberg Registered Senior Member

This is embarrassing.

Romania's new government pushed through a 16% flat tax within two days of taking office on Jan 1st--a tax cut of nearly 50% for those in the highest bracket.

Among the states of the old Evil Empire, Latvia, Lithuania, Ukraine, Russia, Estonia, Slovokia and Serbia have flat taxes. Czechs and Poles are considering it. As are...gasp...countries in the EU.

Sweden, of all places, has privatized part of its state run pension plan.

But then none of these countries have Ted Kennedy, Harry Reid and Barbara Boxer there stopping progress.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Hmmm...i was just thinking that instead of a flat tax it would be better for society to have a limited maximum income.

Let us say 50.000 Euro per year max. Do you really need more money that that for living nicely?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Muhlenberg Registered Senior Member

Believe Switzerland offered such a deal to foreigners. A fixed amount every year no matter what the income. Don't know the details.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Muhlenberg Registered Senior Member

Ooops...misread your post. You are suggesting a Huey Long type tax system--not a tax cap but an income cap.

Kills incentive, doesn't it?

8. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Sorry for the confusion, I meant that there should be a maximum income of 50.000 and not a maximum tax.

edit: I don't mind if it kills incentive to fuck over your fellow human being.

9. Brian Foley REFUSE - RESIST Valued Senior Member

Without a proper tax revenue your country will turn into a third world entity thats why you need a graded tax system that taxes according to your earning potential . A fair tax system funding a proper welfare system is great .

10. Muhlenberg Registered Senior Member

Graded? What does that mean?

11. kazakhan Registered Abuser Registered Senior Member

Income tax is 'evil'. IMO we should only have a consumption tax. (VAT, GST, Sales Tax)

12. Jolly Rodger Banned Banned

VAT, i though this was only in Vanuatu, although i must be wrong!

Although as for the rest of the thread

Limted income, isn't that like a comunisim(in a way), all the rest goes to the government

Limited tax, that would just make the divisions in classes just so much more!

13. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Not really. If you need more than 50.000 Euro a year to be happy you are suffering from a disease, also known as consumerism.

14. TygerMoth Registered Member

SM, the companies will be very happy with your approach. How will you finance the government?

15. Muhlenberg Registered Senior Member

Jolly Rodger...only if you view people as members as a class and not as people.

16. Brian Foley REFUSE - RESIST Valued Senior Member

Graded as to your gross earnings , meaning someone earning basic minimum wage should not be taxed more than say 5% on the $ and someone earning $500,000+ a year should be taxed 50% .

This was the platform of Huey Long the man who would of been President by popular choice over Franklin D Roosevelt . Unfortunately and suspiciously and predictably was assasinated in 1935 before he could of changed America forever .

Then in 1981 Americans voted in Ronald Reagan which ushered in an era of economic vandalism which culuminated with the Bush tax cuts for the rich which in essence is the final looting of the US economy .

17. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

So what you're saying is that the state should own the means of production? How the hell can an individual or family own a business if the top salary is 50k? Furthermore, I make way more than that now, and what with taxes, student loans, four kids, a wife, etc, it's not that much.

18. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

Why shouldn't wages be determined by the market; supply and demand?

19. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

A flat tax is a fair tax. Everyone pays the same percentage of their income. It doesn't get any more fair than that.

20. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Because currently we live in a false model that is based on constant expansion and on economical differences between different groups within society. And society can be viewed here as the entire worlf. Needless to say this cannot last forever. I would even dare to say that the current model is only losely based on supply and demand.

But this seems all rather off topic. Maybe we should start another thread on this subject if we want to continue discussing this.

21. vslayer Registered Senior Member

so your asying its fair for someone on minimum wage ot be taxed the saem as someone earning $250,000 per year?

22. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

The same percentage of their income, yes.

Are you saying it's fair to make one person forfeit, say, 40 percent of his or her income to the government and make another give up only 10 percent of his or her income?

23. Muhlenberg Registered Senior Member

Those in favor of a progressive income tax, who oppose tax cuts and who oppose privatizing Social Security hold those positions because they do not want the power of the state reduced.