The elite...

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Undecided, Feb 12, 2005.

?

Elite Sub forum?

1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    48.0%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    56.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Undecided Banned Banned

I was going on another forum and I noticed a novel idea:

Only Senior Members Can Post Here.

Why can't this be applied here on sci? To get rid of the garbage posters like Karmashock for instance, and to generally increase the level of intellectual debate we should only allow those posters who have a certain amount of posts and are recognized that they have shown a real effort to be serious about subjects.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

It would annoy people like me who don't post a lot, but would feel as if they deserve to post in such forums.

Also, many of the fools here have high post counts, as they continually post things like "w00t - 1000th post - am I cool?!!?!" or contribute to 3 word stories and that sort of thing (that's not to say everyone who does that has my contempt).

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

I like the basic idea. I don't think post count should be the qualifying factor, though. Quantity doesn't equal quality. I think members should be judged individually and on their own merits to be given the privilege to post in the Elite forum.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Undecided Banned Banned

I agree quality over quantity.

8. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

Bit hard to judge though. Quality is not a constant.

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Define quality first then define what a good topic is about.I don't think that will be easily done for many people have differing views about those things.

10. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

In another tread I started, which I am glad seems to be dying now because I made the mistake of including the word "rating" in the title, I tried to explain that I do not want anyone judging for me which posts have content worth reading etc.. Hence I voted no.

I still want an indication (before opening) of the style typically used by the poster. (Some of us still have third-world dial-up connections to the net. In Brazil where I live, you are charged in proportion to the duration of the call. I really hate to pay to see, things that are not related to science in the SCIforums.)

Perhaps a style indicator could be automatically achieved by dividing the total length in kilobites of all posts by the number of posts. I would tend to read the long (and for many) boring ones, instead of the short ones with essentially no scientific content (tyically some short quip or part of an insult war, etc.)

I am not being elite in this wish. People who want to read mainly short quipts, follow insult wars, etc. have ever right to do so. There is more storage space for them than me. A "style indicator" following the name of the poster would help them also.

11. Yuriy Registered Senior Member

Dear friends,
    you know, I often met situations when people want to establish some privileged pool (for some reason and goals) and do not know how to select people into this pool without braking some fundamental rights of people.
    But there is a well-established and well-proven method in history: Nobel Prize Committee, French Academy of Science, the most famous English Clubs and many of other pools...
    This method is very simple: for the first time somehow people are choosing a couple obviously honorable guys as founders of the pool, and further works the following rule - only the members can chose new members. That is it. And it works. May be you will try to do the same?

12. Undecided Banned Banned

Yes I agree totally Yuriy, with a elite forum some posters will try nice and hard to get in.

13. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

Yuriy suggestion is just like all the rest, crap, but hey if you people really wants a forum with its own ass licker club im not going to stop you.

14. HonestJohn Registered Member

I feel the acid test of the value of a post is:

Does it further the debate or provoke interest?

If a post fails this test, by common consent of over 50% of all previous contributors to that thread who are interested in giving an opinion, then the post is deleted. Some care is needed to avoid manipulation, though.

Alternatively if you allowed us all to build a personal 'not relevant' list, so that we never need to see any comment from that participant again, that would be very effective. The silly ones would stop getting replies, because most of the participants would have switched them off. Those that don't switch them off could respond to them without bothering the others.

Actually that is how I currently use the forum - if the name is one I recognise as a time waster, I skip that post.

15. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

We have a similar feature at SciForums. The ignore list. Put a member's username on yer list, and instead of their post, there's a message telling ya that that member is on yer list. Let me know if ya need help getting to that list.

16. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

im sorry HJ but i just dont have time to ask EVERYPOSTER for there comments on a single post. If i get a report or find something myself i chose wether i need to do something about it. If the person thinks i was wrong they can apeal to me and if i think there argument is justified i will undo it, otherwise they can apeal to any mod and we can take a concensious about it. Apart from this we are left to decide for ourselves based on the rules for the section

17. HonestJohn Registered Member

That's fine. Thanks, Asguard and Athelwolf, for the reassuring comments. Not only is there already a mechanism for keeping my blood pressure under control (the ignore list) but there is an active monitoring system.

That explains why so much of this site is both valuable and interesting.

18. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

That's Athelwulf.

. . . But . . . Ye'r welcome anyway.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

Like I have said before:

Base it on IQ scores culled from online tests.

That is much smarter than what you lot are saying.

20. Jolly Rodger Banned Banned

Great idea, get rid of the senior (or fat nerd barsteds that think the are mad because there post are up to 4,658) because they sit here all day long picking their arses!!

21. Roman Banned Banned

Howabout anyone who has been here for a year or more?
    And if you anger the elites, they kick you out.

Sounds like any other social club.

Let's not.

22. vslayer Registered Senior Member

indeed, power corrupts, and giving 100s of people power would cause mass corruption

23. Jolly Rodger Banned Banned

yeah, fully so instead of having heaps of people controling the power lets just have a handful thats more fair????