Homeopathy

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by cblesius, Nov 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cblesius Registered Member

Why should I suffer in solitude when there are so many smart contributors to the "SCIFORUM" who should be able to shed light on the phenomenon of homeopathy?
    I do use homeopathy with astonishing success daily, yet what is unsetteling to me is that there is no scientific basis - at least known to me- that jibes with the existing paradigm of medicine.
    Empirically speaking: it works, yet what is the mechanism by wich it works?: "it flies into the face of allopathy (the common way to treat medical problems by providing a medication that controls the symptoms or coveres them up while hoping that things will somehow get better by themselves( eg: Acetaminophen ("tylenol etc.") to lower the temperature in fever)".
    So how can Homeopathy heal?: what is the mechanism, the modality, the pharmacologic basis of it's action??
    Just wondering (in Greek: traumatsein, [trauma], in English: wondering (wound-ering), in German: sich wundern (Wunde = wound)..
    BTW: forget about "pacebo effect". You try to change your CO2 and urinary pH by wishful thinking about it??
    Inviting BRAINSTORMS !!!
    CKB

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

Well, it's possible to consciously change heart rate and blood pressure, so changing other physiological parameters seems entirely plausible. Especially since the control exposed to the unconscious mind is greater than to the conscious mind (and we are talking about non-conscious mechanisms here).

And placebo effects are rather huge in all the medical studies I've seen (5-20%). And this is even with an 'anti-placebo' effect occuring (namely the patients taking part know that placebos are being given, and may become sufficiently skeptical of any improvement as to negate the positive placebo effect). I suspect in reality the placebo effect, when one is given total assurance that they will get better, is much higher than found in studies.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kmguru Staff Member

From what I heard, it is big in Germany, India and several other places. It is very cheap to practice. In other words, pharmaceutical companies will not be able to make billions in profits. As to how it works, may be we will know in about another 10 to 15 years, when the world of nanotechnology becomes the main stream practice. Just as acupuncture was pooh poohed by western/american doctors for a while, so ... may be one of these days...

similia simili bus currenter.... (sp!)

BTW: The body can recognize even a single molecule introduced into the body. Like nanograms of cyanide, and other toxins...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.