Computers and A.I.

Discussion in 'Intelligence & Machines' started by Atropos, Nov 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atropos Registered Member

A few days ago I was sitting on my computer going over all of the stuff I had on it: microphone, speakers, hard drive, camera, etc. I thought about it and realized that human beings have parallels to all of these (ears, mouth, brain, eyes, etc). I wonder if my computer has a mind of it's own sometimes when it does wierd stuff. My question is what is stopping my computer from becoming sentient? Computers make countless numbers of decisions every day in normal operation, but what is the missing piece of the puzzle allowing it do decide for itself what to do? (Sorry, the wording might be a little confusing, I'm trying to collect my thoughts)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Twilight Registered Senior Member

mm..?

I wonder what the mouse would mean.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Atropos,

The answer is very easy. Your PC isn't quite complex enough yet. Yes it can execute many millions of instructions per second, but that power is around 50 million times slower than the human brain.

However, computer power is doubling every year and at that rate your desktop computer will have the same power as your brain in around 20 years. Some say sooner when considering new state of art technologies on the near horizon.

Of course either appropriate AI software has to be developed in that time or human brain emulator techniques need to be developed.

The expectation among the leaders in the field is that this eventuality is inevitable, the question is just a matter of when.

Cris

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mortox Registered Member

Think about it harder, its a machine and it does what it is commanded to, it does not have flesh and feelings to be hurt etc. Now lets say we are talking about home desktop computers and u think they might go mad and start hacking into the FBI etc, and doing crazy evil things, only way i could see that happening is if we put a human brain type harddrive in them, one that actually is programmed to think like a human, say it had that type of a HD and the way it was programmed was to act like a human in every way, and u tell it to do something that would be wrong and it wont do it b/c it thinks its wrong b/c it was programmed to have feelings and to care, say u wanted to play games like CS and u go around shooting people, and it would be like it was thinking it was the one killing it and not the game and it would no way do it b/c it was wrong,Now that u catch my drift lets talk about putting that human type HD into a robot, and it walked and talked like the human it was programed as, it would be like a super human with no physical feelings and would feed off knowing that and would abuse that power like any other real person would, it would go around taking whatever it wanted b/c it couldnt be physically hurt, lets say we wanted to stop it, but then it would get mad and threatin or kill people if we didnt let it do what it wanted, hehe gonna stop now, just keep a look out for those new chips some might end up having a brain of its own 8)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.