Do pyramids sharpen razors? (rasors?)

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by martin-of-uk, Nov 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. martin-of-uk Registered Member

I admit I tend to avoid superstision and mysticism but this one's got me stumped. I've heard that a blunt rasor blade positioned correctly inside a pyramid will sharpen on its own. This on it's own could be dismissed as a tale but there's more. Researching it slightly I discovered that old food and dead bodies don't decay if correctly orientated, plants grow quicker (and in a helix), and other really weird things.

According to sacredsites.com "in consideration of the high quartz content of the granite blocks in the main chamber and the incredible pressures those blocks are subjected to, ... the main chamber may have been the focal point of a powerful piezoelectric field; magnetometer measurements inside the chamber indeed showed higher levels than the normal background geomagnetic field."

Whatever, but is that enough to sharpen rasors? And is it true that it works in cardboard pyramids too? To prove this, experiments would need to be done on each claim, as I expect some are fabricated after hearing the others.

The plants might grow quicker due to the warmth created by the surroundings, I haven't tested it. The preservation of food and dead bodies can't work like that though. One website claims to have positioned a dead cat in a correctly orientated pyramid at he right height and it didn't decay even though the pyramid was made of chicken wire.

If someone reliable told me it is all superstition and there's a scientific or socialogical reason for it all it would put my mind at rest but what if it's true..?Do pyramids sharpen razors? (rasors?)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

martin-of-uk ...

Welcome to Sciforums ... your source for expert advice and opinion on all matters, no matter how esoteric!

No.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kmguru Staff Member

In any dry climate, fruits do not rot, they just dry out, so do the dead rats. Razors have an inherent property of renewing themselves slightly just after one shave if left for a few hours. It is a property of metal and has nothing to do with a pyramid.

Now, if you build a pyramid tent in your backyard and sleep overnight, inside, with your girlfriend....it is said that you will feel much better in the morning...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

It is known that some of the "Magicians" of ancient egypt use to mess around with Magnetite.

namely placing mangetics of opposite poles to levitate statuets.

There is also a mention of some inpenetrable doors made of Magnetite that would draw metal weapons to it with magnetic attraction.
    This made it very hard for armed soldiers to penetrate the door.

Perhaps such Magnetite was within the stone of Egypt.

My personal thought orignally was the stone was just dug from the building of the Canal to stop the plains from flooding at certain times of the year. This would give an output of rock and create a canal in one move.

8. kmguru Staff Member

The top piece of Konark temple in Eastern India is a large stone magnet. It was setup such a way that there was a floating piece below it. It was damages during the war with Ashoka, before his conversion to peace.

9. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Though it is true that a razor put in a well measured Pyramid will stay sharp if you put it in sharp.

Not that it sharpens itself. But then you really must have the exactly good measurements to built one, for otherwise it won't work and that is a pretty hard job, to get the Pyramid in the exactly right measurements to make it work for you...

Try it out, you never know...

Good luck with it.

10. orthogonal Registered Senior Member

While flipping through a typical, "for the person who has everything", mail-order catalog some weeks ago, I came across an item that claimed to extend the useful life of a razor blade. Closer inspection revealed that the company wanted to sell me a cup in which my razor would be submerged in a "special" oil between shaves.

Actually, it's not a bad idea. The stainless steel used for the razor cutting edges is accurately named; it's only "stain-less", it isn't rust free. Stainless steel is an alloy that includes chromium to "reduce" the iron oxidation. It's reasonable to imagine that some micro-pitting of the razor's cutting edge occurs due to rusting. The impurities, most notably calcium, left on the blade as the water evaporates also tends to foul the cutting edge. I wonder why I've never before thought of keeping my razor in oil between shaves? I wouldn't think of putting away my sharp wood plane without first wiping it with oil or car wax. Yet I give my disposable razor a quick wipe on the towel and then store it in the humid bathroom. No wonder I complain the blades dull so quickly.

Some of you might want to look for that "special" cup and oil that I'm referring to, but my own frugal Yankee nature wouldn't allow sending away money for such things. Instead, I pulled a plastic yogurt cup out of the recycle bin and poured about 2cm of mineral oil into it. I put a new razor blade on my razor and submerged the razor in the oil.

I've been using this same blade for just over two weeks and it still feels sharp. My razor blades in the past seemed to be useful for only a week or so. Still, my experience is anything but a carefully controlled scientific experiment. Perhaps some other folks might try this idea and respond with their own observations?

BTW, I'd believe that a pyramid could keep a razor sharp if and only if I was presented with some repeatable experimental evidence. In other words, it's quite safe to dismiss the possibility out-of-hand.

Michael

Last edited: Jan 29, 2002
  11. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Oh, gag me with a spoon.

On topic: if pyramids could re-sharpen razors, manufacturers of replacement razors would not exist.

12. kmguru Staff Member

orthogonal, I will try that idea. Why not, I keep my K-bar, pocket knife etc well oiled.

13. orthogonal Registered Senior Member

Today I noticed a product sold at "The Sharper Image". It's a holder for a razor which boasts three magnets so as to "keep a razor sharp".

Huh? Stainless steels (such as those used in razors) are typically non-magnetic. But even if they were magnetic, how would maintaining a large magnetic field around a razor help keep it's cutting edges sharp? Am I missing something here, or is this simply more of the outlandish claims being made about magnets (i.e. cures for whatever ails you).

Michael

14. Mossdog Registered Member

It seems that an experiment needs to be done. Does anyone know what the scientific measure of sharpness is? What is the simplest method of measuring this. My friend and I are looking to do a 'double-blind' test on this and there's a lot of beers riding on the result.

15. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Measuring the sharpness of a blade is probably not something you're going to be able to do unless you fork over some serious cash to buy testing equipment. While you're passing the hat to raise capital, you could use this Czechoslovakian Patent to get you started on the pyramid construction.

Peace.

16. Mossdog Registered Member

Thanks for the link.

I have found a firm in the UK who will measure the blades, carry out an accepted blunting procedure and return them to me. They will then be logged and randomly selected for entry into the pyramid. Once 'treated' they will be returned for a remeasure. Price per blade for all three processes is UKĀ£54.

So far I have gathered enough pennies to fully test just the three blades but word is spreading. It is now a race to see if the white van with the butterfly net arrives before I get a chance to finish at least a test run.

I am determined to get this on paper once and for all and will spend plenty more than the cost of the pint which I will win!

Cheers

17. Maat45 Registered Member

Pyramids and Magnets

With regards to pyramids...best thing to do is experiment on one's own. Back in the '70's, I bought a pyramid kit...not out of belief but curiosity. A simple build-it-oneself pyramid frame and open on all sides. Got my compass and set the completed frame up according to instructions. I'm a smoker and the first experiment I tried, I put a lit cigarette in an ashtray, in the centre of the pyramid. Smoke did not exit through any of the sides, around the apex, nothing. It was entirely contained within the structure. I moved ashtray and cigarette just outside the frame and smoke drifted everwhere but into the structure...detouring round the framework, up or over. I encouraged guests to try this, getting the same results. At a later date, I placed an orange inside the frame. The exterior slowly, over a period of weeks, turned brownish but there was no spoilage, no mould, no black spots ever appeared nor did it shrink. When I finally took said orange outside the frame it rapidly deteriorated into the nastiest piece of mush one would hope never to see. The razor experiment worked for a very skeptical, scientifically minded husband who was very particular about his blades. Lastly, each of us, at different times, placed one of our hands inside the frame and each felt a very distinct and visible vibration which disappeared when said hands were removed from frame but held in exactly the same position. Fascinating and curious, all. I certainly would have bought one large enough to sleep under or within but could not find one.

As to magnets...the testimonials regarding the use of magnets for wellness are, for the most part, accurate. However, they do not "cure" anything. I would advise extreme wariness if anyone should try to encourage this belief. I wear them, myself...having fibromyalgia...and find great relief from the pain. Additionally, I have used them for sprains, tension headaches, a sprung thumb, all with not only great success but speedy relief. I've also used them on bruises...both soft tissue and bone. Within three days, all evidence of bruises were gone, pain free and the only indication there was anything untoward in the respective spots was a tiny pressure mark from the magnet. This has been my own experience but I have had absolute non-believer's reluctantly try them and not only found them to have been very effective but returned with family and friends to also try them. While I couldn't say exactly why they are effective, I do know the theories behind the efficacy. But why would I care...I get relief from discomfort and pain at no cost to my body with toxins...and I don't have to continue to buy refills! My own physician refers patients to me when nothing else...including medication...has brought relief. Increasingly, veterinarians are proponents of magnetic blankets and bell boots for arthritic animals. It could be argued this is a simple case of mind over matter, psychosomatic relief but real skeptics, I doubt, would find it so. And animals...well, it's unlikely they are aware of a magnet being applied or it's purported properties...but when it stops limping after a few hours...not days, hours...and charges around as though nothing had been amiss, there has to be something to it...even if it is simply acknowledging there are some things we may never fully understand but can simply accept.

18. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Like, um, people believing in pyramid power?

That said, however, welcome to SciForums!

Peace.

19. Maat45 Registered Member

Another skeptic!!!

Ah, well...I only know what I know! Thanks for the welcome, goofyfish...interesting threads! And I like your signature...most profound.

20. kmguru Staff Member

Since the pyramid is made of stone, I recommend, anyone trying out to use 4 mexican or marble tiles (cut into triangles) for experimentation. Dont knock it until you try it. I recommend marble because of its crystaline structure.

I tried a cardboard pyramid while I was in Uath. I left two grapes that did dry out to become raisins. So did the others that was left by mistake in the cup away from the pyramid, on the table (Utah has very dry climate).

21. Gravity Deus Ex Machina Registered Senior Member

22. ReaganK ReaganK Registered Senior Member

How Pyramids Sharpen Razor Blades

I apologize for a rather lengthy reply but this is a somewhat complex explination. First, a razor blade is made out of high Carbon steel, cutting a few hairs made out of protein will not dull the blade. Do you remember when your 7th grade Physics professor wanted to generate a static charge? He would rub a glass rod against a cat fur pelt. Hair generates a static charge, in the act of shaving hair that charge induces a ion (electrically charged atomic particle) crystalization of the water molicules on the skin. Those water crystals build up on the edge of the blade so the next time you use it the edge has been dulled by the build up. Now to Pyramids; when you clean the house where does the dust gather? In the corners and the edges of the floor, again this is static electricity. Static charges naturally gather on the surface of a plain, the edges of a surface, concentrating on the corners and directly above the point of a cone. Ben Franklin knew this when he designed the Lightening Rod. Combine those factors; plain, edges, corners and cone; and you have a Pyramid. Make the base equal to the height and constuct it out of a non electrically conductive material and you have created a passive static electricity generator, or collector. This creates a collection of positive ions directly above the tip, and another collection of negative ions inside at a point 1/3 of the distance from the top, forming a deionization chamber for positive ions where the negaqtyive and positive charged particles mix and cancel out each others charges. Placing a razor blade with an ion crystaliztion inside will then break down the the crystal build up, and in effect mummify through dehydration, just as it does with meat. So your blade is back down to the metal and once again feels sharp. Hope that this helps.

23. phlogistician Banned Banned

Nope, still smells like bullshit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.