Is the rotation of the earth really will go in the opposite direction?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by feenux, Jan 22, 2005.

1. feenux Registered Member

hey~ A few days ago.. there was this HUGE topic on the earth changing its direction.

According to a local newspaper.. calculations have been done. and the earth was predicted to start spinning in the opposite direction in SEPTEMBER THIS YEAR (2005). its creating HUGE panic in school.. and i really want an explanation

ive heard of earth's rotation spinning a second slower every 18 years? something like that...

CAn anyone clear this up?

thanks!!! ^-^

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. eburacum45 Valued Senior Member

There is no possibility of this happening; which local newspaper are you referring to?

Hmm- perhaps it can predict the future- that might make it a non-local newspaper...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. marv Just a dumb hillbilly... Registered Senior Member

Hmmmmm, maybe there was something on the editorial page of the NY Times.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Feenux, are you sure you aren't confusing this with the reversal of the magnetic poles? This is a real phenomena that occurs occasionally. (On average about every 1/4 million years.) Even if it is that, it cannot be pinned down to a month or year. Indeed the whole process probably takes a thousand years to complete.

8. feenux Registered Member

thats a relief.. thanks... there was an article about it...i reallydont noe.. i guess we shouldnt hear the rumours at school ha? hehehe.. thanks everyone!