Few theories about space

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by [KS], Jan 18, 2005.

1. [KS] Registered Member

First of all i would say that i think that space is not infinite. If something has size (dimensions) it has end and has space beyond that dimensions. And I do believe that there is space beyond the Space.

First of all imagine that we don't have technology nearly good enough to see smaller particles than electrons. It doesn't means that there is nothing smaller than it. There could be whole small world that we can't see.

Now imagine that we don't have nearly good technology to see as to the end of the universe. It doesn't means that there is nothing beyond the space. The could be whole new world and life out there that we can't see.Same that space could be just as big as an electron is, comparing to the space beyond it. And so on to the infinity. Maybe there is some bigger space that the Space is, and we are all living in the space size of the electron, maybe there is someone much bigger who doesn't have nearly good enough technology to see us cause if the space is electron sized then we are much smaller and they can't see us. That idea is moving through my mind for a very long time now.

Other thing. I would know, really, is there anyone here who think that we are alone in space? Anyone who really thinks that all the planets and all the things in this enormous size of space are made (by someone or something) just for us, so we don't get bored?!? I find that idea rather hilarous

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Further on... Do you believe that there are more dimensions than our own? I believe in theory of cat in the box, and I also believe that these dimensions are crossing each other. Here's my theory: Whenever a choice is made, anywhere in the universe, new dimension is created (in which time goes on like the opposite choice was made) and a current dimension goes according to the choice that is made. Of course, the person who made choice can sometimes undo the effects of it. That's when the newly created dimension crosses and goes on like the old dimension. I believe that these dimensions are a big net. Also undoing the effect creates the new dimension which goes with events that would happen if the one who made a choice did not undo it's effects. And so on...

That's all for now. I know you think that is all rather confusing, but I can't find a more simple way to explain it, but I think that anyone who is into this could understand it (if not all, than the most of).

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

And if there was space beyond that space (well, why not?), and more space beyond that, doesn't it rather look as if we are headed for infinity?
    I don't have to imagine the first part. That's where we are. And for the last sentence, does quark sound familiar?
    You are now directly contradicting yourself. Is it infinite or not, in your opinion?
    I know of those who suspect we are alone. I know of none of them who think that all the planets and all the things in this enormous size of space are made (by someone or something) just for us, so we don't get bored.

You say more dimensions , but you appear to be talking about parallel Universes. Which is it?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. [KS] Registered Member

Ermm I meant about the space as we know it. Our piece of space. I think that there is space bigger than our space (for which i think is not infinite).
    Total space around the planets, stars (and other Spaces) and stuff must be infinite, as I think of it. If it's not infinite what is beyond it? And beyond that what is beyond the Space? It MUST be infinite, as i find it.

For the second part I think it's the same universe just in different ways. I know it's confusing, but.... Can't think of better explanation.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. marv Just a dumb hillbilly... Registered Senior Member

I think that space is infinite in dimension and duration. I think that matter simply re-arranges itself endlessly. I think that matter is finite at any given time. I think that there is some yet to be discovered principle involved in an interchange of space and matter (this is why I think space can be infinite while matter within space finite), and there's already been considerable speculation on this.

I think there is, to varying degrees, civilized life (in the sense we understand it) elsewhere in both our galaxy as well as the rest of the universe. I also think the Drake Formula greatly overstates the probability of the occurance of civilized life elsewhere by failing to consider many essential parameters.

My 2ยข.

8. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Nonsense.. First it was never the primary function of the Drake equation to actually calculate the probability of the occurance of civilized life elsewhere .
    Second, if you do use it for this purpose then certainly the probabilities I calculate are way lower than most conventional solutions. It doesn't produce one answer.
    Third, I would be surprised if you can name one essential parameter that can not be accomodated by the Drake equation.

9. marv Just a dumb hillbilly... Registered Senior Member

Okay, Drake never considered that binary systems are too unstable to support planets (if any) capable of producing life forms with enough longevity to develop civilization. The most recent stellar observations have about a third of our galaxy's stellar systems as binary or ternary. That in itself reduces his result by a third as far as our galaxy is concerned. Our own system, considering Jupiter and Saturn, was almost a ternary system.

Another thing he failed to consider was whether the stellar systems were first or subsequent generation. He simply went by count of observable objects. That has immediate effect on the stellar acretion disk and whether planets can be formed capable of supporting carbon based (and they must be) life forms.

A good read on this subject is Prof. Monroe Strickberger's (Univ. of Missouri) "Evolution", ISBN: 0-86720-117-7.

But contrary to what you stated, the Drake Formula was formulated to address the question, "How many technological civilizations are there in the Visible Universe?"

10. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Marv - tis 4:15am here. We are saying some things in sllightly diff. ways. Full response tomorrow.
    However, Drake created a the equation to provide a framework for the first SETI meeting at Greenbank, not to calculate a real value.

11. marv Just a dumb hillbilly... Registered Senior Member

12. yuri_sakazaki iLikeMyWomenLikeMyBaldMen ;Bald Registered Senior Member

Personally, I don't think your theorized universe (although to me, too, it sounded like a multiverse theory...) would be possible because I believe in "fate" in the sense that our brains and organs, planets, everything, operate on consistent physical laws, which means given a person's brain, situation and interaction with other people, it is only possible that they would make one set of decisions in their life, because the responses would be the same if you went back in time and redid them with no knowledge of the outcome (as if you'd never gone back in time). Wow, finally a period. I know this conflicts with quantum mechanics since some parts of that (or all, I know hardly anything about it) are supposedly decided at random, I just don't really care. And I guess I do find the idea that all of this stuff was just created to be huge, mysterious and complicated to keep us from getting bored funny, but thats not to say I believe it.