asteroid belt

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by NO1, Jan 16, 2005.

1. NO1 I Am DARKNESS Registered Senior Member

Does anyone know how difficult it was for Huygens to get past the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter? I would think only something with an atmosphere could get through somewhat safely. And traveling at ludicris speeds could only lead to ludicris collisions.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Janus58 Valued Senior Member

Contrary to the popular conception, the asteroid belt is not that crowded. It would be a rare event for the probe to even come within visual distance of any body.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

The asteroid belt is not how it appears in movies. You cannot see other asteroids from one asteroid. They are *Very* widely spaced apart.
    What?
    Yes, If on the exceedingly small chance that you hit an asteroid. Like I said before, they are spaced widely apart.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

See any more asteroids? No. That small speck next to the main asteroid is a moon of the asteroid.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. NO1 I Am DARKNESS Registered Senior Member

Understood, the thought crossed my mind after seeing this solar system and other 3d screensavers http://www.3d-screensaver-downloads.com

Communist Hamster: With that thought in mind, I thought Earth would be the only safe ship, since the resources are available to rebuild.

8. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

??! Rebuild what?!! It's a probe-spacecraft, not a generation ship!!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2005
  9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Dimensions:

The Cassini spacecraft stands more than 6.7 metres high and is more than 4 metres wide. The magnetometer instrument is mounted on an 11-metre boom that extends outward from the spacecraft.

The orbiter alone weighs 2125 kilograms. Total mass of the Huygens probe is 349 kilograms, including payload (49 kilograms) and probe support equipment on the orbiter (30 kilograms).

The launch mass of Cassini-Huygens was 5.82 tonnes, of which 3.1 tonnes were propellant.

The Cassini-Huygens spacecraft is one of the largest, heaviest and most complex interplanetary spacecraft ever built. Of all interplanetary spacecraft, only the two Phobos spacecraft sent to Mars by the former Soviet Union were heavier.

http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Cassini-Huygens/SEM9D2HHZTD_0.html

10. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

Still dont understand what you meant by 'Something with an atmosphere'
    Never mind though. This thread has forfilled it's purpose

11. pilpaX amateur-science.com Registered Senior Member

maybe he thought that atmosphere would protect from smaller asteroids :bugeye:

12. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

It's worth noting that the craft also passed sucessfully through the rings of Saturn, by going through a gap between rings. Nevertheless, this was a risky manouver, arguably the riskiest of the mission. Object density, even in the gap, is much higher than in the asteroid belt.

13. NO1 I Am DARKNESS Registered Senior Member

That is what I thought.
    Now I'm thinking how would a space vessel slow down or stop if it could travel at speeds that human eyes couldnt even process simultaneoulsy. Reversed after burners?

14. Iris Registered Senior Member

Interestingly, NASA thought the passage through the asteroid belt was significant enough to warrant its own press release.

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2000/ast17apr_3.htm