What does a blck hole look like from the side?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Xko, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Xko Registered Senior Member

Straightforward enough question.

Can anyone enlighten me? - Does it look like a pancake on it's end or something else?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Blandnuts Registered Senior Member

Oh yeah, lets see what it "looks" like

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xko Registered Senior Member

Well you must "see" something...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I think it can only be seen by the effect it has on material drawn into it. I heard that they rotate and therefore some of the material coming towards it instead gets thrown off in the direction of the axis of rotation.

8. Xko Registered Senior Member

Hmmm, ok, this may be a silly question but is it possible to get "behind" a black hole? - If so what would you see from there?

Would you see just a "sheet of blackness"?

9. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

For a Schwarzschild black hole (spherically symmetric, uncharged, nonrotating) against a background of distant stars, and you being a distant observer, you'd see a circle of blackness void of stars. A sphere has no "behind", so it would look the same from all angles.

10. phlogistician Banned Banned

Absolutely. It's called an 'accretion disk'. Say a black hole is part of a binary system, it's captured a gas giant, and they orbit each other (google up cataclysmic variables and accretion for pics), the black hole pulls matter from the star, into the plane of rotation, which spirals down, accelerating, and giving off masses of X-Rays. A fair few of these systems have been detected.

So a black hole looks like a planet with a ring system, kind of, if it's accreting.

For a solitary black hole, well, yeah, it's a sphere, and looks the same from all angles, although it bends light around it, and will 'lens' the background, so you may see distortions of the stars behind it.

11. Xko Registered Senior Member

That's just great folks - gives me a whole new angle to look more into black holes now.

12. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

Technically its just a teeny weeny sphere that has almost infinite gravity due to its incredicle density. Think of a pea with immense gravity.

Oh, wait I just thought of something. Why does the accretion disk rotate on one axis? Why isn't it an accretion cloud?

13. river-wind Valued Senior Member

14. river-wind Valued Senior Member

15. marv Just a dumb hillbilly... Registered Senior Member

Mmmmmmmm. A leprechaun once told me it had something to do with averaging out angular momentum. Oh well, maybe I was dreaming.

16. 2inquisitive The Devil is in the details Registered Senior Member

I don't know if you have noticed or not, but the images that show a 'black'
    hole in the center of the disks are 'artistic impressions', not real images.
    The ones with a swirl of matter and a bright white center are the 'true' images. Theory states there should be an event horizon in the center, within
    the circumference of which is black. I am not aware of any images that
    actually show the black area, but there may be some. Also, event horizons
    (within which is black) are not tiny for massive black holes, only the postulated infinity within the event horizon. The infinity arises because
    theory 'breaks down' within the event horizon, it is a product of mathematics
    which may not actually exist. Gravastars would also look like the 'true' images,
    as would any very intense gravitational source. Also, many of the 'images'
    are not visible light images, but are artifically colored from x-ray, or other
    non-visible light sources. I am not saying there is no such thing as a black
    hole, only that I am unaware of any true visible light images that actually
    show a 'black' area within an accretion disk.

17. yuri_sakazaki iLikeMyWomenLikeMyBaldMen ;Bald Registered Senior Member

Question: How and why are jets ejected from the black hole? They are actually ejected from OUTSIDE the black hole, I assume, so they can get out, but why would this happen?

18. blobrana Registered Senior Member

Yep,
    They are “<i>actually ejected from OUTSIDE</i>”…

The particles probably get quite hot (<i>ie fast</i>) as they spiral in…

As a side issue I suspect that the event horizon (<i>schwarzschild surface</i>) isn’t actually black.
    It emits Hawking radiation (<i>If it bleeds, it can die…</i>) which I suppose is radiated equally throughout the <b>electromagnetic spectrum</b>; but the less energetic ones would not escape as much as the Ultraviolet/x-ray high energy end would…

<b>The black hole is blue…</b>

(if I’m mistaken , please correct me – as I quite like pink)

19. yuri_sakazaki iLikeMyWomenLikeMyBaldMen ;Bald Registered Senior Member

...Ok, so they get hot and fast "as they spiral in", why does it switch directions and shoot out?

20. confusedSQL Registered Member

As far as I can work out, all light and matter that reflects or emits light at the time right before it crossed over the event horizon, will remain visible right up until the point when the black hole expires - no matter how long this may take.

And, since that light is red-shifted with respect to a stationary observer at a safe viewing distance, it will appear on the low end of the spectrum, probably not in the visible spectrum at all, but if it did remain in the visible spectrum, I believe it would be dark, dark red.

21. confusedSQL Registered Member

The only way, as far as I can tell, that light can escape a black hole, is if that black hole is rotating rapidly and there is a subsequent white hole, creating a wormhole (as this would cancel the affect of time and space, subsequently ejecting the matter from the black holes influence before it had a chance to reach the singularity, with the end result being the matter as ejected with respect to the white hole being symmetrical to that of how it entered the black hole; barring the consequence of disturbing the balance between the black and white holes that is.

However, though this is mathematically possible, I seriously doubt such a situation exists in nature, as there is not an object (as far as I know of) in our observable universe that has a fast enough rotational speed with respect to its mass to cause a black hole to rotate fast enough to produce a worm hole and subsequently, a white hole. With observable nature and predictable nature, any black holes that currently exist, or that could be produced by the most prime candidates, will produce black holes that, if you were to cross the event horizon, your would inevitably hit the singularity.

I hope that made sense

- I’m short of time.

As far as switching directions, yuri, apply the first paragraph of this post to your thinking and imagine the object taking the path of an ‘s’ as it travels between the black hole and the white hole singularities, never actually reaching the center of either.

22. blobrana Registered Senior Member

Cool,
    (er, a for a feeding black hole rather than a non feeding one)

So, everything is redshifted - the gamma rays would be redshifted to, say, blue? the blue to red... etc
    Would we notice?

(ie the light looks just the same ...)

So for a feeding black hole it would be white???

Last edited: Feb 4, 2005
  23. confusedSQL Registered Member

With respect to a black hole that is capturing matter and energy, gamma rays should also be subject to a red-shift below the visible frequency upon the most proximal location to the outside of the event horizon, again, with respect to a stationary observer at a safe viewing distance.

The reason for this is because the event horizon is traveling away from the singularity at the speed of light; therefore, any light approaching the event horizon will leave behind a radiation pattern as the entering light struggles to travel back to the stationary observer.

I know this explanation is scant on the details and I can elaborate more at a later time should you need me to, however I am very short on time now.