about strenght of magnetical force

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Avatar, Oct 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

You know, that when a small magnet is placed over a large and powerful electromagnet[superconductor], the small magnet is floating over it.
    But would the same happen, if the powerful magnet is placed over the small one? If so >
    Earth has its own magnetic field, not very powerful, but it has.
    And can such a magnet be made that levitates over the earth?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

If it were that strong then all the metal we used would be stuck to the floor. It is possible though.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I agree with you and I think the same about the theoretical side, but my point was that I want to know if it can be made for real, not just theoretically. Wonder how much energy it would use?
    Have to look for my physics formula book to calculate it.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Crisp Gone 4ever Registered Senior Member

Hrmmmm

Hi avatar,

I also think that the larger magnet would float above the smaller magnet, but it would be a very difficult experiment to achieve. The problem is that the larger magnet is more attracted by the earth (gravity) so every very small perturbation would lead to the larger magnet falling on the ground.

So if you could really very precisily balance the two magnets, then it should be possible.

Bye!

Crisp

8. SeekerOfTruth Unemployed, but Looking Registered Senior Member

Re: Hrmmmm

Crisp,

What about a material that could be used as a magnetic lens in a manner similar to that of a lens in a telescope, but in reverse?

9. John Devers (AVATAR) Registered Senior Member

avatar, are you thinking of a room temperature SC material that a car could be made out of and float above the surface of the Earth?

seekeroftruth, there is no such thing as material that could be used as a magnetic lens, you cannot focus a magnetic field.

Pig iron is the best magnetic shield.

If you hear any different please send a private message or post here.

10. SeekerOfTruth Unemployed, but Looking Registered Senior Member

Actually John, there is significant work going on right now into materials with "negative" permeability and permittivity. There is a research group working about 200 yards away from me that has created such a material that is capable of acting like an electromagnetic lens for RF frequencies at or below 1 GHz. It seems to be only an extrapolation of capabilities to progress further.

11. Crisp Gone 4ever Registered Senior Member

Hi all,

Magnetic lenses do exist, but it depends on what you want to focus

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Magnetic lenses are used in particle accelerators to focus particle beams (for the techies: they use quadrupole and higher order magnetic pole lenses for that). Here, "magnetic" refers to the method used to focus particles.

Magnetic radiation is inseperable from electric radiation (they come as a package) and both can be focussed by the classical system of lensing (for example: regular lenses like your glasses can focus the electromagnetic radiation we call light, but there are other examples aswel: X-ray radiation can be focussed using X-ray lenses, ... ). Here, "magnetic" refers to the (electro)magnetic radiation that is focussed.

Bye!

Crisp

12. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Newton's third law

Remember that for every force there is an equal and opposite force. If a big magnet repels a small magnet, the small magnet repels the big magnet with an equal force. Similarly, while the Earth pulls you down with its gravity, you pull the Earth up just as much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.