Is this an original idea?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Athelwulf, Dec 24, 2004.

1. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

This is a thought about the universe I've had for a while. I never thought of it as "That's the way it is", but as just a possibility. Here is my thought:

The universe is a component of a much bigger universe — call it an überuniverse. The size of the universe is equivalent to the size of one of the components of an atom (proton, electron, neutron, quark, etc.) in the überuniverse; in fact, the universe is a component of an atom in the überuniverse.

Is this an original idea? Or is there already a similar hypothesis floating around somewhere?

Also, are there any fallacies in this idea? Something that doesn't quite fit right? I'd really like to know, kuz otherwise I'll accept it as a possibility.

Thanks in advance! And have a happy Christmahanukwanzaaka!

- Peace, Love, Health, and Happiness to all! Âðelwulf.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

I remember a short I think 1930's SF story in which a man created this machine that made him grow bigger and bigger until he grew larger than the universe and emerged into another one that ours was an atom of. Or something like that, maybe he had managed to escape from our universe by going really fast, I cant quite remember, either way he ended as an object of study for some aliens because he came from inside an atom.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. mercurio 9th dan seppuku sensei Registered Senior Member

No, it's not so original. And why would it end there? Why not ueberueberueber-universes?
    When I was a kid I thought the reverse btw, that atoms were little solar systems complete with beings etc.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Na. Most such ideas have popped in many a head, I think

For some it even became a saying: "It's turtles all the way down." (*

(* The entire universe stands on a giant turtle. Q. What does the turtle stand on? A: Another turtle. Q:What does that turtle... etc. (after Terry Pratchett)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Roman Banned Banned

They even had a movie loosely based on that idea, called Men In Black.

8. Roman Banned Banned

9. Brutus1964 We are not alone! Registered Senior Member

The real question is if there really is such thing as an original idea? When ever we think of something how many other people have thought the same thing? Even the most learned among us come up with ideas based on other ideas. I think the magic of the human mind is the capability of coming up with new ways of employing old ideas to new situations.

10. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

When I asked if it was original, what I meant was whether or not this was already one of the many scientifically recognized theories about the universe.

11. mercurio 9th dan seppuku sensei Registered Senior Member

I think you're confusing 'possible' scenarios crossing peoples mind vs. accepted theory. How would you tackle such a concept following accepted scientific procedure? You cannot, therefore it is no theory. It's just an idea. A nice idea, but with no indications in RL to make it possible to investigate other than by dreaming away about it.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. marv Just a dumb hillbilly... Registered Senior Member

I, too, remember the SciFi story about infinitely larger and smaller universes co-existing within each other. But I've never heard of it being offered scientifically; at least not seriously.

13. Brutus1964 We are not alone! Registered Senior Member

I agree that just because the universe has fractal characteristics it does not mean that we live in a universe contained in a larger one contained in a larger one etc etc. A galaxy or a solar system does not have the same characteristics as an atom at any scale. An atom does have electrons orbiting the nucleus but not the the same way a planet orbits around the sun. An electrons orbit is more like a cloud going in all directions. Only mathematically could a fractal universe have infinite interations. My bet is there is some sort of law of physics that only allow for things to be so big or so small. But this does not mean that the universe isn't fractal it just means that it has a boundary. The universe is finite but there are examples of infinite features in the universe such as black holes.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2004
  14. mercurio 9th dan seppuku sensei Registered Senior Member

I think it also has to do with how our mind (memory and imagination both) work in this respect: once we see a pattern, we like to check if it repeats.

But it can lead to errors in thinking, like the assumption of an 'atmosphere' in space (aether), since we have one on Earth, after all.

Lots of stuff IS fractal, and is repeated from small to huge, from soap going down a drain to galaxies swirling over thousands of lightyears.

But there are limits to how far you can stretch analogies, and at some point you must face the fact you're on new territory with different rules.

15. Brutus1964 We are not alone! Registered Senior Member

I read a website that makes some very good points about how a never-ending fractal universe could work. I don't know if I agree with it or not. If anyone can read it, and make a good argument against it I would appreciate it.

If you want to learn about fractals go to the "Those Amazing Fractal" thread. They very much pertain to this subject. Also if you are interested in fractal cosmology read this essay.

http://www.fractalcosmology.com/e-fractal2.htm

We may have it all wrong about an atom resembling a solar system. But atoms very well could resemble galaxies. I don't know if what this web site says is true but the writer makes some excellent points.