Is our solar system a large Atom?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Starman, Dec 24, 2004.

1. Starman Starman Registered Senior Member

What do we know about the atom? All we know is that it has mass and that mass is energy. We know that when you smash an atom you get smaller parts.

Ok let's forget the silly names we give everything and lets call mass, well lets call mass, mass.

We know that our solar system is made up of mass and if you smash it, you will get smaller parts. We also know that our Solar System is part of a system, lets call it a Galaxy or a Molecule, what ever you like.

Lets say that an atom, is part of a galaxy, well it is isn't it. Has anyone calculated how many atoms are in a grain of sand, vs. how many stars are in a Galaxy.

Now with all these similarities aside, let us remember that Nature tends to repeat it's self.

Now if you were nature and you wanted to evolve different dimensions, would it not be the easiest to make one fit into the other and so on.

First it is Big Bang then it is String Theory then Membrane Theory.

It sounds like cell division to me.

But then again what do I know.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

It is the same answer as the answer to, "Does God exist?"

Yes.
    Is that what you want to hear?

If not, then No.
    It doesn't really matter, since we will not likely ever find a way to answer the question.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Starman Starman Registered Senior Member

All Gods are Man Made. I do not believe that the Universe is Man Made.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Possibly, but how do you propose to answer the question?

8. Starman Starman Registered Senior Member

I would compare the properties of the cell if it is organic and to the Molicule if it is a solid mass. One of the two has to resemble the Universe. Then produce experiments to prove the closest match.

9. Brutus1964 We are not alone! Registered Senior Member

I agree that just because the universe has fractal characteristics it does not mean that we live in a universe contained in a larger one contained in a larger one etc etc. A galaxy or a solar system does not have the same characteristics as an atom at any scale. An atom does have electrons orbiting the nucleus but not the the same way a planet orbits around the sun. An Electron's orbit is more like a cloud going in all directions. Only mathematically could a fractal universe have infinite interations. My bet is there is some sort of law of physics that only allow for things to be so big or so small. But this does not mean that the universe isn't fractal it just means that it has a boundary. The universe is finite but there are examples of infinite features in the universe such as black holes.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2004
  10. FreeMason Registered Senior Member

Well this is flawed from the beginning, because we have an idea of the shape of electron orbitals around a nucleus, and they are nothing similar to the orbitals of Planets, this is due to the differences of forces, electrons being attracted by electromagnetic and nuclear forces, while the planets are attracted principally by gravitational forces.

11. Brutus1964 We are not alone! Registered Senior Member

Starman

If you want to learn about fractals go to the "Those Amazing Fractal" thread. They very much pertain to this subject. Also if you are intererested in fractal cosmology read this essay.

http://www.fractalcosmology.com/e-fractal2.htm

We may have it all wrong about an atom resempling a solar system. But atoms very well could resemble galaxies. I don't know if what this web site sais is true but the writer makes some excellent points.

12. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

We know a heck of a lot more than that about atoms.

13. Brutus1964 We are not alone! Registered Senior Member

Ok if a galaxy is actually an atom, then what happens during a nuclear detonation? Would we be splitting someone else’s galaxy? What about all the living things that may be living there? What would happen if the people who live in the next higher universe than us happened to split the Milky Way galaxy? Would it kill us all or is our scale so small that we wouldn't even notice?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2004
  14. BlueMoose Guest

" A galaxy or a solar system does not have the same characteristics as an atom at any scale. An atom does have electrons orbiting the nucleus but not the the same way a planet orbits around the sun. An Electron's orbit is more like a cloud going in all directions."

-If I did understand it right, in the thread by Yorda about gravitation and magnetism, they are exactly the same. The "electrons" seems to be everywhere in the orbit because as soon as we try to measure them we are at same time interference them orbit. ? .

15. OverTheStars Registered Senior Member

Starman-

I've pondered the same thing, and...what if each person is a walking galaxy?

16. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

if i were a galaxy....hm......
    i think i would quit smoking. dont want to harm all the little guys inside me.
    id be angry if god took up smoking....thats for sure.

17. Nasor Valued Senior Member

No, this isn't correct. The different shapes of electron orbitals are derived mathematically from principles of quantum physics.

18. BlueMoose Guest

Yes, if one does take the quantum physics to be the "truth" so to speak.
    I think time to time that more they come up with new particles and stuff,
    more they are confused, the string theorys and all that.

http://www.hatem.com/atom.htm

Did you read the theory in that link, and what is your opinion about it ?

To me in was very intresting, it did make more sense than quantum physics.

19. Nasor Valued Senior Member

And I think that you don't know anything about quantum physics other than some vague notions that you probably got from the internet and mass-market 'popular' science books. But hey, why should we have to know anything about a subject before we hold opinions on it

Hilarious (in a sad sort of way) quotes from the article like this one show the author to be completely ignorant of modern physics.

20. debt Registered Senior Member

Questions like these seem to be entertainment or simple trivia rather than a good mind fuck. Scientists barely know what an atom is! "No, man, we have a pretty good understanding, I swear! Don't you know anything about quantum mechanics and shite?"

I know what the universe is. It's a shit stain on an infinitely huge pair of whitey tighties. "But, dude, think about it...a big atom...we could be some guys fingernail, man!" Who cares? And this kid's question wouldn't piss me off nearly as much if I didn't have this overwhelming feeling it's another self-centered, bored teenager thinking he's thought of some original idea. "I'm going to write a book, man."

I'm pretty selfish for posting this, and I'm depressed. We're in the middle of no where suspending in nothing on top of an incredibly huge void that's near a hole in blackness. Let's get out of here, who's with me? No one? Fantastic.

21. BlueMoose Guest

Nasor - "And I think that you don't know anything about quantum physics other than some vague notions that you probably got from the internet and mass-market 'popular' science books. But hey, why should we have to know anything about a subject before we hold opinions on it "

-You think what you think. If my knowledge were on the level that you wouldnt feel the urge to make assumptions about my knowledge, would I still be here in this forum ?
    I question EVERYTHING and I dont know NOTHING. That is the reason why do come here, but hey, sorry if I ruined your day

And I wasnt saying that those theorys was my theorys you know, just wanted discussion...
    And, you dont know nothing about me.

However, have a nice day.

22. yuri_sakazaki iLikeMyWomenLikeMyBaldMen ;Bald Registered Senior Member

debt- I'm glad you decided to degrade starman's 'trivia,' because obviously your comments were much more thought-provoking and of deeper scientific value. If other people enjoy discussing it, then you shouldn't care, and while we're on that, nobody else cares about your depression and feelings of worthlessness, or whatever your problems are. Kapiche? Fantastic.

23. Gambit Star Universal Entity Registered Senior Member

science is purely gods way of motivating us to evolve.

The spiritual contex of thought is what made us want to know what space is and why it exists.
    Id have to agree with you star man.
    Just look at our bodies, we are a planet to billions of highly evolved bacteria whom share the same life force as us. And compare us to the earth, we represent the same lifestyle as the bacteria on our bodies.

I believe it is the spiritual life force of the earth that represents the "electron", afterall, we are made of atoms, and thing inside of us thought, heart beat, nervous system, sight (light) is all a form of electricity.

We are beings of light.