Nature Of Nothing

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Brutus1964, Dec 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brutus1964 We are not alone! Registered Senior Member

Just an Idea but the expansion of the universe and gravity could be caused by the conflict between nothing and something. Within the universe it is impossible for there to be a condition of nothingness. Something will always fill the void of nothing. If there is in fact a condition of infinite nothing outside the universe then this causes the universe itself to expand in a never ending attempt to fill the nothing beyond. This poses a problem because while the universe is expanding outward new space must be made within the universe to keep it from also creating a condition of nothing within its boundaries. Otherwise the universe would be stretching rather than expanding. Gravity exists because when matter moves it creates a void behind it like the wake of a boat. The more matter the more powerful the wake is. However space must instantaneously fill the void otherwise "nothing" would be created within the bounds of the universe. This conflict creates a force that we call gravity. If a condition of nothing were ever to be created within the universe it would cause a chain reaction that would ultimately cause the universe to collapse in attempt to fill the nothingness.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Brutus1964 We are not alone! Registered Senior Member

I may revise my idea of weather nothingness can exist in the universe. Maybe the entire universe would not collapse if a condition of nothingness existed within its boundaries. Think of a puzzle that consists of squares with one square missing. Whenever one square is moved to fill its place it opens another space in its place. You could go for eternity and never be able to fill every space. Imagine a condition like that existing inside the Universe. The entire universe would attempt to fill it up, however it never could. Now the entire universe would not collapse because it still wants to fill the never-ending nothingness beyond it. So the universe would still go outward forever but at that point it would also go inward forever. That may be exactly what a black hole is. A point so dense that the wake it creates is so powerful that it can never be filled by the entire universe. Therefore it becomes a singular nothing that callapses into infinity.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Show me the math

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Brutus1964 We are not alone! Registered Senior Member

In the beginning there was nothing the scientists tell us. Then suddenly there was something. When something came into existence then nothing went out of existence, therefore, nothing can not exist. Everywhere in the Universe their must be something. Even empty space there is still something. If nothing ever came back into existence then something would no longer exist and again there would be nothing. Right?

If something is always greater than nothing then how can nothing be greater than everything? For example: Nothing is greater than God. How can nothing be greater than something? If God is greater than nothing that would mean that everything would have to be greater than him. Even if you don't believe in God you could say the same thing about the Universe. How can the Universe be greater than nothing if nothing is greater than the Universe?

8. Brutus1964 We are not alone! Registered Senior Member

Ophiolite

Simple mathmatics 1>0. One is greater than zero, or something is greater than nothing.

9. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

so just word play

10. Brutus1964 We are not alone! Registered Senior Member

Ohiolite

What are your views on the concept of "nothing"? I think what we consider as nothing really is something. If you have an empty glass there is still air in the glass. Even in empty space there is always something even in the deepest voids. There is cosmic radiation, there are light waves, and there is gravity. I don't think there is anywhere in the universe that there is absolutely nothing.

11. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

It is well understood that a vacuum is not empty. Virtual particles and anti-particles spring into existence then mutually anihilate themselves a nano-second later. Personally I cannot conceive of 'nothing'.
    You opened this thread in Cosmology. You must feel there is a weakness in current cosmological theories, which your hypothesis may address, else why post? Cosmologies theories are expressed in mathematics.

So, what is the weakness in current theories your hypothesis addresses?
    Where is the math to describe this?

12. Brutus1964 We are not alone! Registered Senior Member

Can nothing or everything even be put in mathematical terms? We have a concept of 0 and infinity but no way of using them in any real mathematical way. Anything into 0 is always 0 and the same goes for infinity. I admit I am not a mathematician. I put the thread out to see what ideas people have on the concept of nothing and what it can mean in real physical terms.

13. Brutus1964 We are not alone! Registered Senior Member

We cannot comprehend nothing. All we can do is visualize darkness, but that is still something. Darkness can only represent nothing. True nothing can not be represented by anything because then it becomes something. There are no words or thoughts that can truely discribe nothing because that is still something.

14. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Thread closed. This belongs in Philosophy.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.