What else do we get?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Gondolin, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Gondolin Hell hath no fury like squid Registered Senior Member

I was lying in my bed one night thinking and I started to wonder... do we get heat or radiation from other distant stars. Or do we get nothing but light from them at night?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bachus Registered Senior Member

light is radiation. We also get the rest of the radiation ranging from radiowaves upto gamma rays.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. eburacum45 Valued Senior Member

We get a very few neutrinos from the stars as well; particularly from supernovae, but even a quiet star like our sun radiates these insubstantial particles.

The tiny amount of light we get from the stars would be enough to heat the Earth to a couple of degrees above absolute zero.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Legolas Registered Member

thats probably considering our atmosphere deteriorates or would be non existant in the conditions without a sun in our system. i think if we were to have the extensive atmosphere we do currently, any radiation capable of heating us would be almost filtered out. if not by the solar dust but our weather and the amount of water on the planet. Ide have to say absolute zero might win that fight lol