how often do NEW stars appear in our skys?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Quantum Quack, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

As the thread title says, "How often do new stars appear in our skys?"

The question is based on the premise that if the lights of stars are yet to arrive here then we should be seeing new stars appear in our sky's quite frequently.

Now it is possible that every star in our galaxy has already appeared but I wonder why we hear nothing about other more distant stars showing up as their delayed light signal finally reaches earth.

I would contend that if light is indeed travelling then we should see new star light arrive all the time. Is this the case?
    And if not is there an axplanation as to why not as I am sure this is not a new question and has been asked before?
    Care to discuss?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. blobrana Registered Senior Member

Hum,
    If i remember correctly there’s about 10-20 new stars formed in our galaxy every year. mostly the t-tauri variety - and shrouded by their nursery dust clouds.

(<i>though i also remember reading a number of only three sun-like stars every year</i>)

As for other galaxies, especially those near by like the andromeda galaxy, then, yes I’m sure that it’s possible to pick out new individual stars. However, they would be very difficult to see due to the aforementioned dust.

It would be better to watch out for supernovas (star deaths) , due to their brightness …

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. mercurio 9th dan seppuku sensei Registered Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. eburacum45 Valued Senior Member

If you take all the galaxies in the sky including the very distant ones (approximately 10 billion major galaxies), at (say) 10 new stars per year, gives 100 billion new stars per year;

that is around about three thousand new stars per second.

but they are nearly all very far away, and we would be very lucky to recieve a single photon from the majority of them over any given period.

What is the thinking behind your question, by the way?

8. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

I thought you could say that new starlight arrives all the time. every time they look further away with the HUbble telescope, they're seeing "new" starlight.