Machines of Metal?

Discussion in 'Intelligence & Machines' started by Yang´s_Matrix, Oct 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yang´s_Matrix Registered Senior Member

This subjec has already perhaps been puzzeled over, but since I came here just a while ago, I thought to post my own ideas about this:

When mentioned the world machine or robot etc. we commonly think somekind of metal machine/robot. But perhaps if we desing somekind of intelligent machines or robots... it would perhaps be better to make them from some other materials, which would be more flexible than metal.

I have been thinkin that were the replicants in Blade Runner machines? The society atleast treated them as machines and as property, but perhaps in the of the movie Rick Deckard (Harrison Ford, the main charracter) realized that they weren´t just machines or property but persons with a spiritual side. I think it was wery touching moment in the end as Roy Batty (Rutger Hauer, Nexus 6 replicant, leader) spoke to Rick Deckanrd before he/it died/retired.

Perhaps in the future, machines will be made out of flesh rather than from metal and plastic. They could for example be a bit like us, or something wery different, they could be designed for some precice purpose or they could be wery adaptive. They could be wery small (a size of cells etc.) or there could be just one big machine which could seperate parts from itselfself and give some specific task to those smaller machines.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Your post kind of delves towards certain aspects of a thread called "Man = Machine", now I argued there why a Man is not a machine.

Of course I never mentioned to that poster of how a machine could be made like our functions (I was just arguing that we aren't machines, otherwise we would have been produced in a vat and have no mother)

It's right to look at the possibilities, but in most steps of machine progress it isn't necessarily that we should create them in our image. The entire purpose of the machine is to do a task or task, to which they should be ergonomically designed to carry out such functions.

This means that a machine destined to roam a planets surface would be better to have a larger amount of traction than a bipedal design (wheels or Catapillar tracks), or more legs for combating obstacles.

If you want to create a machine that climbs a wall, perhaps you would need a firing mechanism with a hook and cable attached, or on it's legs some form of drill that it could drill into the surface to attach itself (very destructive to the surface)

You mention of the materials of a robot or machine, why do we use metals? Well originally they are strong, and can be reproduced and not easily damaged (for larger robots).
    Of course there are robots that have been created for many years in some eastern cultures that have robotic puppets, that can be made form wood. (But soft materials tend to wear easier at the joints meaning they need replacing).

Of course if you look at a limb of a human, we have the abilty to rebuild tissue growth (this is going to stir a board member up

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)
    There is a possibility that in the future nanotechnology will provide a machine that is capable of healing itself (or at least stopping the wear of soft material areas through regrowth)

What would be necessary to get a decent picture is that a machine needs a carrier that is insulated to the motorskill area (I say motorskill but I mean it's mechanical muscle or controller for it's hydrolic/neumatic ram)

It could have either an indo or ecto skeletal structure, internal would be easier to fix with nanotech, exto is more useful when trying to protect internal mechanisms.

As for Bladerunner, well they were machines, their pieces were genetic though, of course different from our on because the idea was that the models had their parts restricted to a lifespan which you notice in the film since that's what they want... A life!.

That is something that would and will have to be watched when we create an artificial intelligence that doesn't just become self-aware, but finds out an understanding for "the meaning of life!" because we might ask what our meaning is, but to a machine, Life is a chance to live and not be disessembled (Short Circuit- Johnny 5) or terminally turned off (2001: Space Odyssey)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Yang´s_Matrix Registered Senior Member

Hmmm... perhaps in the future, nanotechnology will revolutionize our way of constructing and maintaining buildings and machines. For example, if we would decide to make a colony in the Moon or Mars we could simply send a pod which would contain perhaps some rescourses (it should perhaps be calculated accurately that what materials and how much, would the colony need), a programmed computer (which would transmit the orders to the nanomachines) and a lot of nanomachines, which would make atleast the foundation to the base. Or if our technology would be advanced enough, perhaps they could make somekind of refinery through which the nanomachines would get more rescourses and build a significant part of the colony and then humans would just finish the job (decorate etc.).

Also what about if in the future a small intelligent computer (not self-aware but perhaps pre-sentient, a kind of computer which could bend a little and learn more about the subject that it´s working on etc.) and somekind of machines (they could be somekind of biological machines etc.) which would travel in our circulation and gather information from our body and if they would detect some anomaly they would report it to the computer and it would analyse the data and give orders to the nanomachines for what to do or if it wouldn´t know what to do or have the tools to make what should be done, it could transmit the data to somekind of central computer which would be in hospital and they would call you to come to a check up. Then, when the problem would (hopefully) been solved, the central computer would take all the essential data and transmit them to every persons pre-sentient computer (and thus the pre-sentient computers would learn more).

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Yang´s_Matrix Registered Senior Member

The replicants seemed wery humane in Blade Runner. I´m not sure if they were machines... we created them and gave them precise life expance and we designes them to a specific purpose. But they were consciousness, intelligent, they wanted more than merely fulfill theyr given duty... they wanted to life (as you said stryder), they had needs, they seemed to be able to love.

It was quite ironic that we kept them as slaves and they seemed to think that we were actual slaves (slaves of our fear).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.