Tuned to 408MHz

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by wet1, Oct 20, 2001.

1. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The Radio Sky: Tuned to 408MHz
    Credit: C. Haslam et al., MPIfR, SkyView
    Tune your radio telescope to 408MHz (408 million cycles per second) and check out the Radio Sky! You should find that frequency on your dial somewhere between US broadcast television channels 13 and 14. In the 1970s large dish antennas at three radio observatories, Jodrell Bank, MPIfR, and Parkes Observatory, were used to do just that - the data were combined to map the entire sky. Near this frequency, cosmic radio waves are generated by high energy electrons spiraling along magnetic fields. In the resulting false color image, the galactic plane runs horizontally through the center, but no stars are visible. Instead, many of the bright sources near the plane are distant pulsars, star forming regions, and supernova remnants, while the grand looping structures are pieces of bubbles blown by local stellar activity. External galaxies like Centaurus A, located above the plane to the right of center, and the LMC (below and right) also shine in the Radio Sky.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Beautiful picture, really.
    I love it.
    The theory which goes with it I do not know, but the picture is marvelous.
    And then again, the Universe is a secret to humans, now and probably forever...
    I do hope so.
    But you have beautiful pictures...
    Always.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kmguru Staff Member

Hi, Wet1, great picture as always....

Hi Banshee:
    And then again, the Universe is a secret to humans, now and probably forever...

Not really...when you tune into the frequency of life in the Universe, all will be revealed to you. Budhha did it, so can you....

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Kmguru, I do not belong to the humans I mentioned, sorry.
    I don't have to say that every time, because people start to think I am an idiot. I know, I have seen. I have out of body experiences in which I travel every where. To incredible for words.

You know too, why don't you tell?
    Tell them about what you found out.
    Better, send me a PM if you want more of this. I won't talk about it here, sorry.

8. kmguru Staff Member

You know too, why don't you tell?

Are you kidding? People will put me in a nut house...

As we understand more about the Quantum World, we may be able to understand our true place in the universe...Our generation is lucky in that we will understand a lot more than generations before us...within a single generation. (due to the exponential nature of the growth of knowledge).

...that is, if we can get through this stupid terrorist acts....

9. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Our generation is doomed to die.
    If humans go on like this, there will not be a next generation or the one after that.

I know my place in the Cosmos, that is all I have to know.
    People can open their eyes and listen a little better in stead of making war and having arguements all the time about the most worthless things.
    Things...
    As in Material.
    Nothing material is worth fighting for. And no religion is worth fighting for, because all religions are in fact the same.
    Except Boeddhisme, that is different, maybe people should take some interest in that, Boeddhisme.
    Or whatever, it won't help, whatever I say, no one listens any way.

And the Universe, I love the Universe.

10. kmguru Staff Member

Doomed? Ney...if we made it this far with 100,000 nuclear weapons on our backs...we will make it forward...

Calm down Banshee...take a deep breath...the wonders of the Universe is waiting for you....

I did not think, I will make it to 1300 posts....

11. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Yes you did make it to it. Congrads on the big 1300, it gets bigger as it goes.

12. kmguru Staff Member

Thank you wet1. the 911 incident put a dent in my other activities. But I am enjoying the forum. This week, we will see what the probe to Mars brings. May be an alien artifact....

BTW, a friend of mine told me yesterday, years ago, when a geod was cut, they found a semi disintegrated spark plug inside it and the geod carbon dating was to 1 million years....any one knows anything about it?

13. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Kmguru, you have to become a member by Universe Today.
    There they send you everything what is going to happen in Space and what is found on Mars and so on, other Space things.
    I will give you the link and I hope it works.

www.universetoday.com

I really hopes it works, if not, then type it in by hand. If you are interested. They send you automatical every day, the latest Space News to your email adress. If you are a member. Maybe you can take a look. If good, ok, if not good, ok too, whatever.
    Have fun.
    Talk to you later.

14. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Banshee ...

The URL works ... Interesting site ... Thanks.

15. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

You're welcome...

16. Lund Registered Member

Hi all

Hi Wet1
    Does that immage is how we will see skies if uman eyes could see waves of 408MHz ?
    Peraph with a low resolution?

17. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I do not think you would have the resolution as most photos are taken over a time period to allow suffiecent data gathering time. The signals, whether they are light or radio arrive very faint and weak. Allowing longer time to collect these data streams allow for better images. Also as the photos states these are done in false colors, meaning that the colors represent some value as opposed to true light. So if you could see at this frequency it would not look the same.

18. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

<<...As we understand more about the Quantum World, we may be able to understand our true place in the universe...>>

Umm, perhaps you haven't heard of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle? You know, as you decrease the scale of your observations -- the closer you lood the less you are certain you see.

The Quantum World is ruled by probabilities, not certainties.

If you seek truth on the quantum scale, you'll find truth to be confusing.

19. kmguru Staff Member

Life is a case of probabilities, not certainities

So...you have nothing to lose.....

20. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

<<...Life is a case of probabilities, not certainities...>>

Sounds good at first but not a terribly accurate assessment. Death is a certainty, but birth, like the consequent genetic predispositions, is probablistic.

<<...So...you have nothing to lose..>>

No, life is not nothing.

21. kmguru Staff Member

Exactly....

22. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

<<...Exactly...>>

Exactly, what?

Express a complete thought.

23. kmguru Staff Member

Are you a proffesor Mr. G trying to grade a student's paper? If you could not get it with what is presented, I doubt a book will do ya any good.